On 3/2/2024 at 4:35 AM, Brass-Is-Class said:

Sorry so late in responding Terry. I'm rarely on the forum.

My fob does have a celluloid cover over the car image. Note that the car on your fob/pinback is identical. Maybe the pinback is not glued, but the pin was poked thru the underlying celluloid. Wonder if you could try to slide it off? The fobs are indeed rare. I've seen other pinbacks before, but your fob is the only other one I've seen besides mine. 

- Gary

Thanks for your thoughts Gary. My fob and the pin came apart easily. There was one tiny dab of something like Rubber cement that held it in place. Even the "glue" came off and has left no mark. There is no sign the fob itself ever had a celluloid insert. No idea if it might have been something repaired or ??  For certain it's a nice piece. But-now I have a nice pin and a fob with no insert. 

Terry

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TheMoneyPit said:

I was watching that one too Terry, but lost track and missed biding. I’m glad you got it!

I will see you and the fobs you emailed me about at Luray!

Anxious for Luray. Great swap meet, lots of old stuff. I debated about that fob as the photos were pretty crappy and it looked like the enameling was in poor condition. Was pleased when it arrived. I cleaned it with some windex and a microfiber cloth. Really glad to have it. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

The Hartford Tires fob I posted earlier is the second one I have in my collection.  This is the other one that I've had for quite some time.  I believe it's much earlier.   I distinctly remember buying this one.  I saw it in a PA antique market but passed it over because of the price. The following year I was back in PA wandering through the same market and the vendor still had it in his display case.  This time we were able to strike a deal.  He was tired of carrying it around and I was kicking myself for not buying it the first time. 

Terry

Hartford tire early style.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1