Rally Wheel restoration ???

kreed

On 5/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I must have been lying with a capital L.

Prevarication? I don’t think so. But, to check out this miracle chemistry bond I ordered My Hard Primer you friend told you works.
we will see how it turns out.

Turbinator

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, telriv said:

I have Riv's that still have the factory paint on them. When I took the paint off I used the old carb. cleaner which took the paint off to see a nice shine from the original chroming process.  There HAS TO BE a primer that will do the job, we just not have found it yet.

Tom, Actually I do not have any real experience with a pro level spray gun.  I believe Bernie has good information on the MarHyde 2K primer. The trick is to get the primer to stick. I’m pretty sure applying the 2K  Primer with a spray gun is a level or two above rattle can application. If you get runs and or orange peel with the primer you have a problem with the finish. The primer has to be smoothed out when you get runs and orange peel. Spraying for me is not something that comes natural.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

My simpleton DIY driver quality approach:

clean, mask & spray with rattle can  

Spraying comes natural to me…I’m Mexican…😝

71E6D5F1-C86F-4C38-9318-31CB6FD0505D.thumb.jpeg.845889ecc66ca816b635ee9a85ed473f.jpeg

My man you are cat with the rattle can. Makin it look nice with tons of added spice. Rockin Dave is the man with the steadiest of hand, if he can’t paint it nobody can. I must say with sincerity and no joke it looks real good. How the paint sticks to chrome without the plating taken down real far is a mystery to me. Now, I’m thinkin’ about powder coating more than paint. No matter the work piece had to be clean, right?

Turbinator

• Haha 1

I bought a set of 895s for my Roadmaster wagon and did the clean, tape, and paint routine.  That was in the fall of 2017 and today they still look as good as the day I painted them (wish I could say the same for the rust pits in the chrome. ) The wagon is my daily driver.  When it gets washed, it goes through the drive through with the high pressure rocker panel / wheel jets.  No paint has been loosened.  One thing that I did that I think helped both the look and the durability was to set the wheels in the sun for a full day to "bake" the paint.  I prepped the wheels one day then sprayed them early the next morning and let them sit outside all day.  I did not have tires on the wheels at the time.  Used Rutoleum gloss black.

• Like 3