1939 Buick Special Headlamps

39Cdan

Hello again from Norfolk.

Get the lights working - next item on my to-do list.

I have removed the headlamp bucket and outer marker light assy.

I would like to check the inside of the bucket but haven't found the trick to popping out the dish in the front of the bucket.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin

I don't have a 39 so probably shouldn't comment.  But,  is there some flat spring clips riveted to the outside of what you are calling the "cup"(reflector receptacle and adjuster) that are catching on the lip in the opening of the headlight bucket that need to be depressed.   My 37's are like that.  Besides the ones you see in the picture, three in total(courtesy of an ad on e-bay),  mine had two clips riveted on the sides that are kind of concealed inside the bucket when the cup is in it.   The ones you see in the picture... just gently  pry  each side of the clip up.   There should be a gap in the lip of the bucket if it has those other clips on the cup.

Screenshot_20200419-202247.png

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

Thank you Gents!

Very similar. Here's my bucket.

I see the tabs you've mentioned. Juuuuuuust want to make sure I apply correct force magnitude/place/direction.

Still looking for "Popping out 39 Special bucket reflector for dummies".

R,

Kevin

bucket front.jpg

The 37's had the reflector slide onto the pegs at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  I had to depress it further down the peg to remove an odd shaped horse shoe clip.  Looks like the 39 might just clip over the reflector lip at those positions.

After those sides are released the reflector needs to be pulled away from the 12o'clock position and the long straight tab behind the reflector at the 6 o'clock position needs to be "released" that kinda locks the reflector against the long tab that is bent at the end and can be seen from the outside.

Once again I included a picture(courtesy e-bay)  of the inside so you can see what Im trying to explain.

Releasing the long tab requires some force but go slow and be gentle.

Screenshot_20200420-115614.png

Thank you Mr. McBuick!

Same here, pegs/retainers at 3 & 9.

Haven't been able to push down the reflector and remove a horse shoe clip.

The pegs at 3 and 9 won't move outward or otherwise to release the reflector.

There's a trick haven't found yet.

Thx,

Kevin

bucket reflector.jpg

Too bad someone in the know doesn't chime in with the golden key to unlock the silver reflector.

Another thing on the 37 is the cork gasket is in a metal retainer than just kinda snaps into place and stays there with spring tension.

Here's another picture of the back side with the headlight adjusting mechanism.  It looks like it's spring loaded.  While holding the reflector into the cup, from the backside you might have to push the adjusting mechanism toward the front and you might be able to push the peg outward enough to release the one side.  The other side looks like its riveted firmly in place but with the one side loose you might be able to manipulate the reflector over far enough to release it from the peg.  Then all you have left is the bottom to release,  unless you do that first.

Be kind and gentle,  use finesse.

Anyone?.....

Screenshot_20200420-204106.png

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

Hello from Nawfick.

Well, discovered a trick to this although I'm sure there are others.

Yes, completely back out and remove the lower adjustment screw (not essential but helpful).

Two clip-shaped hold-downs remain at 3 and 9.

Push down the reflector at either side just below the clip end.

On the pushed-down side, insert the end of a flat-blade screwdriver between the reflector edge and the reflector cup, beside the clip.

Twist the screwdriver ever so slightly until the reflector edge clears the clip, and lift out.

Watch carefully for other pieces inside the reflector cup that want to escape and head for a dark corner on you workshop floor.

R,

Kevin