Searching for a driver 39 Chrysler sedan

Brooklyn Beer

There’s also a 1939 two door that was for sale in the Seattle on Craigslist for a long time and was on eBay very recently.  I can’t recall what they were asking on Craigslist (14k+?), but the last bid I saw on eBay was around 5.5k with reserve not met.

UPDATE:

s-l200.jpg

1939 Chrysler Royal DELUXE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402218509218

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Thanks. Been warned about Country Classic Cars. 

I dropped in there once several years ago, have spoken with the guys at Hershey, and have heard from people that have purchased from them. I don’t think they are a place that you necessarily need warned about, but I will say that a lot of cars in their buildings/yard look worse now than they did when the pics on the site were taken.  I do recall seeing a lot of very poor “restoration” work.  If a car was a good car when they got it... them making the car shiny with a $300 paint job won’t make it a bad car... it is just a car with a crappy paint job. 

I’ve been casually looking for an 8 that’s not a project for the last few years.  There’s a coupe with the wrong wheels (I believe) and some other modifications currently for sale in Hemmings, but I think it might be priced optimistically based on condition.   ...but please buy it so I can stop looking at it, so much!  😆

Hemmings ad:  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chrysler/unspecified/amp/2225544.html

older Bay Area ad:  

https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/1939-chrysler-imperial-coupe-8-cylinder.21625/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SparkEE said:

There’s also a 1939 two door that was for sale in the Seattle on Craigslist for a long time and was on eBay very recently.  I can’t recall what they were asking on Craigslist (14k+?), but the last bid I saw on eBay was around 5.5k with reserve not met.

UPDATE:

s-l200.jpg

1939 Chrysler Royal DELUXE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402218509218

I looked at this one. Sometimes a couple times a day, trying to figure out just what isn't right about it.  I tried to find a paint chip card for this year and they do list a "silver" for that year.  But something seems off. Like that white one that is around with the crushed red velvet interior.  The coupe though is out of my range for sure but a beautiful car. 

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I looked at this one. Sometimes a couple times a day, trying to figure out just what isn't right about it.  I tried to find a paint chip card for this year and they do list a "silver" for that year.  But something seems off. Like that white one that is around with the crushed red velvet interior.  The coupe though is out of my range for sure but a beautiful car. 

Agreed, the silver paint color on the two door for me is a lessor concern from:

* damage to drivers’ rear paint

* damage to front door paint AND looks like a dent thar could be caused by hooking a door 

* telltale electric window switch on driver’s and passenger’s side door interior panels (now we are certain mods have been made)

* “extra” unterminated wire hanging down from dash 

* alternator on engine

* extra wiring block on cowl

* missing radio and extra modern controls for a heater 

* added audio equipment (see passenger’s side interior kick panel shot 

* “six cylinder original engine with updated 12volt electrical system”. ...lots of six volt components here, how were the dealt with?  Maybe that was a step down on the cowl?

...but if the price is right, probably a fun car, and two doors aren’t as common.  The two door ‘32 Plymouth sedans are popular with rodders because they have a larger front door (and it’s a suicide door).  I don’t know if the front doors on a 1939 Chrysler are standard size on the two door sedan.

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Agreed, the silver paint color on the two door for me is a lessor concern from:

* damage to drivers’ rear paint

* damage to front door paint AND looks like a dent thar could be caused by hooking a door 

* telltale electric window switch on driver’s and passenger’s side door interior panels (now we are certain mods have been made)

* “extra” unterminated wire hanging down from dash 

* alternator on engine

* extra wiring block on cowl

* missing radio and extra modern controls for a heater 

* added audio equipment (see passenger’s side interior kick panel shot 

* “six cylinder original engine with updated 12volt electrical system”. ...lots of six volt components here, how were they dealt with?  Maybe that was a step down on the cowl?

...but if the price is right, probably a fun car, and two doors aren’t as common.  The two door ‘32 Plymouth sedans are popular with rodders because they have a larger front door (and it’s a suicide door).  I don’t know if the front doors on a 1939 Chrysler are standard size on the two door sedan.

Edited by SparkEE (see edit history)