Manifold Crack Repair Tip

Recently I noticed a little surface cracking in my 41 Century exhaust manifold and a tiny bit of soot telling me it went through and was leaking . I got some repair paste at the parts store but after application and a couple of heat cycles I could see the crack appear again in the hardened repair paste. I put some more on the crack but it soon reappeared. On a hunch I took a piece of fiberglass cloth and sliced up a pile of small bits of fiber and mixed it into the paste. I used a fair amount and after chipping off the old paste started anew. After a couple hundred miles and several heat cycles its still uncracked. Seems the fiberglass makes the patch less sensitive to expansion contraction cycles. Good luck all! 

• Like 1

Let's hope it holds! Hopefully repairing it will keep the crack from spreading. I'd almost advise that if you can see the crack, maybe drill a tiny hole at each end of it to prevent spreading. Anything you can do to keep that cast iron intact is time and money well spent.

Hi Matt, I hope your holding up under the pressure. I definitely am concerned about sales and values so you must be freaking out with your large investment and overhead. On a different topic I am in need of a pushrod for my 41 66s and so far have come up blank. I need a 13 7/16 length and all I am finding is much longer 13 3/4. Maybe you have some used? All the Best, Stay healthy ,Lawrence