Dictator GE body codes

Does anyone have a list of the body codes used by Studebaker in the late 1920s?

A cabriolet is for sale in NZ and I wonder if the code is correct. I know that W-3 is the sedan but don't know the others.

Not sure if the top actually folds on this one.

1279368316.jpg

1269556144.jpg

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Some interesting photos there although quite a few didn't want to open.

There used to be a way of right clicking and choosing 'show photo' but that doesn't happen with my new computer.

I did see the red cabriolet, which is an interesting one as it has the newer style curved A pillars but the older style wire wheels with the nuts exposed.

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Craig

29_Dictator_1A.jpg

29_Dictator_2A.jpg

29_Dictator_2B.jpg

29_Dictator_1C.jpg

29_Dictator_1B.jpg

Thanks for the photos, they are very informative. I know that the GE model came in three different series. The NZ car is the third series. The two cars here are Commanders, the red one a six cylinder GJ, a short lived model which used a long stoke version of the Dictator six engine. The beige car is model FD Commander 8.   Both models use the 120" wheelbase chassis where the GE uses a 113" wheelbase. Studebakers of that era are notoriously difficult to date as the company made frequent changes and changed the different models at different times of the year. I suspect both of the cars here were built in 1929 where the NZ car, even though it is registered as a 1929 model was probably built in 1928. 

On 3/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, studeboy said:

According to my parts books the E was for Sports Coupes first ( Standard six and GE book) and later also for Cabriolets (1928 to 1940 sixes).

I believe the top on this one does not fold. Whether it is actually a Sport Coupe, in which case the top would not fold anyway,  or a Cabriolet I don't know. If it is a Cabriolet then it needs some sorting.

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I believe the top on this one does not fold. Whether it is actually a Sport Coupe, in which case the top would not fold anyway,  or a Cabriolet I don't know. If it is a Cabriolet then it needs some sorting.

I could be wrong, but the GE E-2 is a 'fixed' top, and a GE E-4 would have an operating top.

Craig

Technically a '28 Dictator model GE 3rd design Royal Cabriolet for 4 passengers. Third design cars were after serial 1437601 introduced in late June 1928. Similar car to the one on the cover of the July/Aug 2011 issue of The Antique Studebaker Review. Back issues available thru the club.

GE 3rd design cabriolet copy.jpg

specs 1-29.jpg

Review cover.jpg

7 hours ago, studeq said:

Technically a '28 Dictator model GE 3rd design Royal Cabriolet for 4 passengers. Third design cars were after serial 1437601 introduced in late June 1928. Similar car to the one on the cover of the July/Aug 2011 issue of The Antique Studebaker Review. Back issues available thru the club.

GE 3rd design cabriolet copy.jpg

specs 1-29.jpg

Review cover.jpg

Thanks for that extra info. The fact that the NZ car has the cloth upholstery suggests the top does not fold. I will have to check serial numbers. I have owned a scruffy sedan for many years which I know was first registered in NZ in March 1929 so had to have been built in later 1928.

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to look up Kevin Wise in the ASC club roster. He would be a wealthy of information for you on your car. The Cabriolet posted above (by Dick Quinn) that is on the cover of the ASC Review belongs to him. It it is a GE Dictator and has the fixed Cabriolet top like yours, not the Convertible Cabriolet. I sold him that car and it was in a million pieces and it took me 3 trips in my truck to get it and all the extra parts from all the other series Dictators that had been collected through the years by the person I bought it from originally. You would be amazed to see the "before" pictures as it sat in a Farmers Almond orchard. Because he had a mix of different parts from 3 different series of Dictators and had to sort out what was or wasn't actually correct for his car it has made him very knowledgeable to say the least on that year and model. He used to Live in Elk Grove, California near me and has since retired and moved to the State of Washington.  His restoration was a frame off (he had no choice because it was all apart) and it took him 5yrs to finish. His car has won multiple Concourse awards through the years and has been in several Classic car club publications. Screenshot_20170814-221300.thumb.png.17cc801db99c608f961a70c2c319ef3d.png

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 11:27 AM, nzcarnerd said:

Does anyone have a list of the body codes used by Studebaker in the late 1920s?

A cabriolet is for sale in NZ and I wonder if the code is correct. I know that W-3 is the sedan but don't know the others.

Not sure if the top actually folds on this one.

1279368316.jpg

1269556144.jpg

My name is Adam Golshanara, my grandfather is Kevin Wise, owner of one of the other '29 Series III GE Dictator Cabriolets... I'd be happy to get in touch with you, and we'd love to see some more pictures of this car as (I'm guessing,) this is the only surviving right hand drive example still around...