63 starter cable routing

BulldogDriver

I’ve been working on my car lately and while removing the cable that goes from the horn relay to the starter, the solenoid end disintegrated. So after removing the starter I forgot to note the route the cable took when going past the steering box. 

A photo would be nice.

Thanks, Ray    

Here are some pictures of the cable routing on my '65, should be similar to your '63.  The cable was originally covered by an asphalt impregnated wire loom which may be missing on your car.

Hope this helps.

cable at inner fender.jpg

Cable on inner fender

cable at steering box.jpg

Cable routing over steering box

cable at starter.jpg

Cable routing at starter motor

Edited by 48Super (see edit history)

Unfortunately the routing posted is WRONG.  The cable goes behind the steering box & NOT over it like pictured.  The smaller upward diameter of the box & the recess in the frame in that area provide the nec. clearances. There is enough room for the cabling to go behind the box opposite of the pic. under it.  The clip under the windshield washer bottle is correct.  I know this for ALL '61-'66 NailHeads, Rivs. & Full Size cars.  Not visible in pics posted there should be a heat shield above the starter that's held on with the 2 lower head bolts.

To install the cable in the PROPER place requires removing the wiring as pictured & loosen the 3 bolts that hold the box to the frame in order to give enough clearance to get the wiring BEHIND the box to do so.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

Ray,

NOW would be the perfect time to replace that old antiquated box for one of my 2.5 turns lock-lock faster ratio boxes.  Would bring the car more into modern day vehicles with rack & pinion steering.. It makes a HUGE difference in the way the car steers & handles.  I'm positive you will be satisfied as MANY have been.

Just let me know. I can run you through it. OR just send me a PM.

Tom T.