Hey 36 Buick 40 series owners...

Bloo

Does your car have a transmission hump? I'm not talking about  a huge one like you would find in a 60s car, something more like an inch and a half. I couldn't find very good pictures of the floor online, but the pictures I did find of 36 Buick 40s looked like they might be flat.

Car in pictures below is a 1936 Pontiac. Does your Buick have something like this? Or is it flat?

E0AeaAo.jpg

tRCaFK0.jpg

yes there is a hump created by the cover which goes over the transmission. Appears to be same as Buick Special.  Wood covers over passenger and driver side with metal cover over transmission. I did not measure but would be very close to same if not identical.

• Like 1

Here's a couple pictures from my 1936 Series 40 sedan.  It was a little dark in the garage so they are not the best.  There is a metal center plate that is one piece from about the front of the seats to the rise in the firewall. I think it may be one piece with the bent part.  I can check tomorrow. It does not have much of a hump at all.  One either side are wooden access panels made of plywood.

20200126_184641.jpg

20200126_184727.jpg

• Like 1

I'm looking for a headlight reflector screw now, also used in 1936 Buick.

Pontiac calls it #217504, and my Buick parts book doesn't list it at all, although you can clearly see some in this picture of 1936 Buick headlight buckets from an old (2011) for sale thread here on the AACA forums.

post-64951-14313855131_thumb.jpg

It is just a number 6 flathead screw, but has an undersized head. It matters because it sits in the bottom of the channel for the lens gasket. You can see how much bigger the head on a hardware store screw is here.

Does anyone have one they would sell? Doesn't need to be nice, just functional.

Or, does anyone know the Buick part number so I can search properly? I am getting nowhere with the Pontiac number.

CvlvO0J.jpg

STTHfle.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

If you have access to a lathe,  machine the tapered side of the head to match the diameter of the original.  Since that will drop the head further into the threaded hole,  make sure there will be enough thread at the shoulder to firmly secure what you are trying to fasten.

I did that to some stainless bolts(like in your picture) holding the chrome pieces on the nose of the hood of a 37 Buick that line up with the grills.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...