Jump to content

Gaps don't look correct 1946 WD15


lostviking
 Share

Recommended Posts

The hood gaps don't look right in the front to me, even though the body lines seem to line up. Anyone have any insight? The first picture shows the rear corner drags a bit on the fender. The second shows a large gap at the bottom of the front, although the lines at the top seem to line up. I also think there is supposed to be another of the triangular protectors on the hood.

Anyone have a suggestion? Or is that just normal? I don't really see any adjustment around there and all the metal seems to line up otherwise. Can't really tell.

IMG_20200104_140954.jpg

IMG_20200104_141006.jpg

Edited by lostviking (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Viking, 

 

 can you post a couple of photos of the overall view of the front clip on both sides and include a straight on shot of the front?

To  me, it looks like it's been repainted.

which tells me it could be several things....

 

Parts weren't lined up correctly

A. either prior to paint or 

B. if it was painted off the frame then some  parts after paint may have been out of place, or

C. if bushings or wrong size bushings were used on repaint that weren't originally used. 

D.The list of possibilities are endless but other photos (zoomed out) may shed some light on exactly why.

E. 
F.

G.???

 

Hope this helps,
Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hey Viking, 

 

 can you post a couple of photos of the overall view of the front clip on both sides and include a straight on shot of the front?

To  me, it looks like it's been repainted.

which tells me it could be several things....

 

Parts weren't lined up correctly

A. either prior to paint or 

B. if it was painted off the frame then some  parts after paint may have been out of place, or

C. if bushings or wrong size bushings were used on repaint that weren't originally used. 

D.The list of possibilities are endless but other photos (zoomed out) may shed some light on exactly why.

E. 
F.

G.???

 

Hope this helps,
Dave

Thanks for the reply. I will get the pictures, but I'll have to wait until next weekend as the wife has other plans for today. I'm move it into the driveway so I can shoot it from all sides.

 

Yes, it's been repainted. Very badly. It was done before I picked it up last September. Some places it looks like they just poured the paint onto it, heavy runs, drips, puddles and errors. I'll have to pull it completely apart and redo that. At least pull everything but the cab. I think I can do that on the frame once I remove everything that shouldn't get painted.

 

I have a couple pictures I took already, but I'll get a move level shot of the front next weekend, as well as the drivers side.

 

I know it wasn't put back together correct. That's part of what needs to be corrected. At least the drive train is OK. I'm finishing the disassembly of the original motor also (has a 58 230 in it now) and I got a freshly rebuilt tranny with that engine. He didn't do that part. It has the tags from the shop that rebuilt it still.

 

It was a good buy for all the extra's I got, even with the body and paint problems. By body I just mean the alignment part.

MVIMG_20190921_100449.jpg

MVIMG_20190921_100511.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, lostviking said:

Not sure what you mean. The hing in the center of the two wings?

The center hood bracket/hinge. Is there any play in the front and rear mounting points?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

The center hood bracket/hinge. Is there any play in the front and rear mounting points?

It looks like the holes, at least on the cab, are slotted. The gap is slightly larger in the rear also, so maybe I could move it back a tenth or so. I don't think that will help the lower edge though, but I won't know if I don't try it. I think the fender itself is not straight, being too low in the front and too high in the rear.

 

There are plenty of places that is true though. I need to very carefully study the parts manual, then see what I can do. It makes sense to try and get everything straight before doing any paint correction. The running board on the drivers side has a large gap under the cap and at the bed also. Like I said, plenty of things will need attention.

 

Thanks for the suggestion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first thing I thought were cab/fender/mounting bushings might be a different size,  and to me, it could explain why they are out of line. All it takes is one bushing/spacer to cause this.... 

 

Was the truck in a previous accident, taken apart for any reason? 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

The first thing I thought were cab/fender/mounting bushings might be a different size,  and to me, it could explain why they are out of line. All it takes is one bushing/spacer to cause this.... 

 

Was the truck in a previous accident, taken apart for any reason? 

I have no reason to think it has been in an accident, however I've only owned it since last Sept. The body was of course taken apart then the old owner did a restore. He painted it, or had a friend do it. That's why it needs a paint job now :)

 

I'll get it straight, but need to ensure all the correct parts are being used.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...