Adding recovery tank- '51 Buick

Kestrel

Is anyone out there running a recovery tank on their straight 8s ? My understanding is that it improves the cooling efficiency 10%, keeps the proper coolant level, and prevents air from causing corrosion over time. I tend to overfill things and always been concerned about the barn cat licking up something bad. My engine runs in the normal range but with hotter summers, I thought it might be a wise inexpensive upgrade. I don't worry about point deduction so much. Any thoughts appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I just finished the install of my recovery tank (aluminum) and filled up the radiator. Now I just need a test drive to see how it flows back and forth as indicated through the site glass. The capacity is only 1 liter so I hope it's enough. Either way, it fit snuggly and unobtrusively out of the way.

If anyone is interested, I can provide info on the tank source, etc. My original overflow tube turned out to be badly clogged and rusted and snapped off just below where my new hose attaches. 

IMG_1374.jpeg

• Like 1

did you change the radiator cap to a cap for the coolant recovery system the original cap will NOT perform correctly with a tank

Nice job by the way very neat looking and just because i cant see it the tank does have a overflow pour out hose from somewhere on the top

( i see something on the right but it is lost in all the black lol)

Yes, I replaced the original cap with a 7 lb pressure cap (Napa $7.00) designed for closed systems.

The tank has an overflow outlet at its top that I ran straight down with a 90 degree elbow to the bottom of the radiator. There's a site tube on the right side. Tank was only $33.00, found on Amazon. 

IMG_1376.jpeg