Any 1965 Cadillac esp fleetwood owners care to share your thoughts on that year?

StylishOne

I have a chance to buy a one owner 65 Fleetwood 60s. . I've owned many other years, but not 65. Wondered what owners think of them,  if there's  any things to watch for,  common issues, likes , whatever. I'm going to go see it soon, so any help or advice is appreciated.  Thanks. 

Hello again, my stylish forum friend ! And indeed stylish describes these Fleetwoods, particularly if the wood paneled interiors are extremely well preserved. Do not bother if the interior is deteriorated. Jump on it if interior is mint perfect. A couple things to consider :

Number one : These 429s are unsophisticated, and very high compression. They are not intelligent enough nor cammed to run properly on modern gasoline. You have to be conscious of this while driving, and maintain relatively low manifold pressure. Quick rule of thumb  : no more than 1/2 throttle below approximately 5000' of elevation. Shift down and light throttle climbing low altitude grades. Higher elevation, these old things will really come into their own. In any and EVERY case, use the highest octane available, again, bearing in mind that unless you have readily available 100 or 110 octane gasoline, you absolutely must keep your foot out of it at lower elevations.  Drive gently. 

Number two : The oil pump issue. The aluminum front cover carries the oil pump gears. And they eventually start running a bit wild, munching metal and losing oil pressure in the process. How many miles on the F'wood ? Being one owner, check the service history. If this has been rectified, you are lucky. If not, you should get on this now. Rationalize this necessity by rebuilding the radiator and water pump while you have them out. The water pumps fail at 50 - 60 thousand miles anyway. So this will be a once-in-a-lifetime operation for you. I am trying to remember whether Cads this old have the nylon timing gears. If so, you would have to get in there to replace regardless. There may well be a parts availability problem, as you can not use a parts donor engine for the aluminum cover. This is a topic that you must bring up on the Cadillac & LaSalle Club forum. These are popular cars in CLC, and their owners will have dealt with this. I have not had a high compression Cadillac in decades. Used to be all I drove. I drove them fast and loved them. You will not drive them anywhere as hard as I did. Just make sure your brakes are well maintained, and you will not need to be concerned that they are drum brakes.          Please let us know how you get on with this. Pictures ? These are impressive, elegant Cads.   -   Carl 

As I e bee told the engine was rebuilt when a family member did something  to it.  It was done to accept modern gas. The interior and wood are together in bone colored brocade.. the wood is decent , could use paint  though its original.  Looks pretty straight.   I havent driven it yet . He has all service records n owners manual but they can't find Caddy dealer invoice or window sticker.. he originally wanted 7500. Now will take he'll  take under 5000..

P1000495.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:27 AM, StylishOne said:

As I e bee told the engine was rebuilt when a family member did something  to it.  It was done to accept modern gas. The interior and wood are together in bone colored brocade.. the wood is decent , could use paint  though its original.  Looks pretty straight.   I havent driven it yet . He has all service records n owners manual but they can't find Caddy dealer invoice or window sticker.. he originally wanted 7500. Now will take he'll  take under 5000..

P1000495.JPG

Beautiful project for restoration :wub: :wub:

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, StylishOne said:

I agree .. plus fabric was mink tested and the first to offer heated  seats.. 

One question .. I saw a 66 Fleetwood with no picnic tables , so I'm guessing the Fleetwood Brougham has the tables n foot rests?? 

Thanks..w

That is correct, unless one order the bucket seats (!)

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1966_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

Craig