Ampere Gauge how do you Disassemble one ? ?

Mark Gregory

Look at the back and you will see the face(ring) bent over to keep the glass assembly together. You actually have to open it like an oyster. What is wrong with it ? Does not work ? if you want to restore it the best thing to do is to send it to Bobs Speedo metor. He advertises in the Hemmings monthly magazine. 

I opened one from National Gauge & Equipment Company last month. The glass bezel on mine had a hair thin seam between the bezel and case. I had to use a razor blade to start prying to the two part. Once I went around a few times a I was able to use a larger prying tool to pop off the bezel and glass. Be careful how much you bend as the glass can and will crack. Hopefully you’re is like that.....or simpler. 

Another way to do it is use vapor rust. Use a small brush and keep brushing it around with the liquid. may be for almost 1/2 an hour until the rust is gone. Use a fine swede brush to help brush away the rust and you will have a better view how it is put together. Most of the gauges were made by the same company. Some times the cover section is just tight pressed on the body. Under no circumstance soak the face in Vapor rust as it will peel all the paint on the face. If the face is loosened as DB26 said you may be able to hold the face with one had and the lower half with the other hand and twist them open. Keep trying.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trini said:

Another way to do it is use vapor rust. Use a small brush and keep brushing it around with the liquid. may be for almost 1/2 an hour until the rust is gone. Use a fine swede brush to help brush away the rust and you will have a better view how it is put together. Most of the gauges were made by the same company. Some times the cover section is just tight pressed on the body. Under no circumstance soak the face in Vapor rust as it will peel all the paint on the face. If the face is loosened as DB26 said you may be able to hold the face with one had and the lower half with the other hand and twist them open. Keep trying.  

I made the mistake of accidentally soaking my gauge face in vapor rust and peeled 20% of the face off. You live and you learn...the hard way. Good advice. 

I am sorry to hear that. You can briefly wash the face with vaporust and flush  with water. But never soak. If , after you have it apart, try Cindy Meyers to see if she can provide a replacement face.

She sold me a repro face for my tank gauge.