zink aditive

Isaiah

1 minute ago, barnett468 said:

That is quite obviously not the norm and doesn't occur under normal use and normal maintenance etc.

Depends on what "normal" is to you--that's from a lifetime of non-detergent oil plus (probably) a lot of sitting.  yet a number of collectors seem to want to run non-detergent (I agree, that's a misnomer) in their pre-war cars.

38 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Depends on what "normal" is to you--that's from a lifetime of non-detergent oil plus (probably) a lot of sitting.  yet a number of collectors seem to want to run non-detergent (I agree, that's a misnomer) in their pre-war cars.

From an engine builders standpoint, I really don't know why they would run a non detergent oil, but if they do, they should change it frequently whether they drive the car much or not.

1 minute ago, barnett468 said:

From an engine builders standpoint, I really don't know why they would run a non detergent oil, but if they do, they should change it frequently whether they drive the car much or not.

Agree!  Detergent oil won't loosen previous crud (at least. to any appreciable degree), but will minimize any deposits from current oil.

38 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

It's to my understanding that detergent oil is not for cleaning but suspending particles to be filtered by the oil filter and not sink to the bottom of the oil pan.  I'm onboard with you. No detergent oil change frequently.