No more tail light troubles (hopefully)

Mpgp1999

I am sure many of you out there have had some trouble with the taillight on your Dodge.  For me I have a problem with the brake light and the tail light.  Originally the brake light was functioning as it should.  The issue with the brake light was the spring in the pin was nonexistent  somebody had cut or broke part of it off. I have put a small peice of tin foil in the inside of the hole to make a connection to the bulb. That worked for a year or so. The light became so finicky and unreliable it was time to do something. I had cleaned out the inside of the pin socket. I made pin with a round head out of copper to fit in the hole. I then attached a door lock spring in the hole and now it works like new. 

Above I am speaking about the taillight (bottom bulb)⬆️

Below I am speaking about the brake light (top bulb with the STOP)⬇️

All the moving caused the brake light ground out. The rivet was grounding to the taillight housing. I ground out the rivet and I am going to replace it with a #5-44 screw. The rivet was .136  I am using a #35 drill bit in some new insulation. I am making a grommet 5/16 diameter with a .1100 size hole. This will recess nicely In the back of the bulb assembly. The copper anode in the second picture is - hot. The taillight housing is + ground. I will insulate the copper anode that connects to the bulb. The old insulation disintegrated and caused the short. I will then paint the surfaces to avoid rust and make them look once. Once this is done it should last another century. I hope this helps everybody. By the way I have a spare working taillight if needed I picked it up at a swap meet for 200. 

I hope this helps. 

1BB77FFB-67F9-439C-BA3D-E99A434D462C.jpeg

47567ED2-D47D-4148-9C70-190CC1C147D2.jpeg

• Like 2

I had to do a similar fix for my bottom bulb. That same pin was broken and no longer making contact with the bulb. I can’t remember exactly what I used, but I remember jury-rigging a spring from a ball point pen. If I have her apart anytime soon I’ll take pics.

Good job. 

The easy way to do a good job on the tail light assembly is to dunk it in Vapor rust overnight or longer depends on the amount of rust. The seemingly rusted springs are cleaned out without damage. Rinse and blow dry to prevent flash rust. The terminals of the wires are a lump of solder that wears out. Use a solder gun and heat the terminal, remove the solder. You will be surprised what is there. A shoe tack nail pushed into the cable. You will have to put a  blob of solder on the head of the Tack. It makes a perfect terminal. If you cannot find Vapor rust try lemon vinegar or juice.