Winter storage in the snow; Darn It.

Digger914

8 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'm not a coffee drinker and my online manners are just fine. There was nothing rude about my comments. It's just that I have no patience for some clown who thinks it's a good idea to attach a cat to a car which is outside in the winter in Minnesota. How about if you grow a pair and try not to get your panties in a wad over something that isn't really any of your business? If the OP doesn't have a problem with my comments then neither should you. Got it?

This OP responded to the cat suggestion in a light hearted manner with the best reasons for not having a cat in the yard. Yes this OP did think about the city ordinance and what compliance would mean and if this OP thought complying with the city ordinance was an acceptable option, this OP wouldn't have come to the people who really work to protect their old cars for help.

No child left behind means education for everyone and the special needs school across the street is for the children with needs beyond the capabilities of the area public schools. The teacher ratio is six to one, support staff is one to one and some of these children are so disturbed that they are a danger to self and others Every now and then one gets loose and if the right one gets loose unattended small animals that can't run aren't safe. Every day the police are called in to help with the more unruly students and something as simple as a squirrel squashed on the road can create chaos. Daily police presence also means loose animals are captured quickly and code compliant fences don't hold cats.

This OP did have a problem with your comment, but this OP also has an autistic grand niece and saw in your posting a near autistic reaction. My intention was to tactfully reach out to you by private message as time allowed, but this "clown"  thinks your comments are rude, ignorant, arrogant and seriously doubts that you have the comprehension skills to understand, or character to acknowledge that you misread the posting.

I was turning into the entrance of the Chapin Mill Retreat with a friend. The rod and gun club across the street had a sign out advertising a pig roast to support Ducks Unlimited. My friend read it and said "Kill a pig, save a duck".

I was just imagining what that 10th mouse thought when he jumped into the bucket and saw the first 9.

• Haha 1

O.K. friends and men, gentle and otherwise : Please allow me to "spread a little oil" (please don't accuse me of being environmentally insensitive), on these somewhat tempest tossed waters by bringing us back to topic. Dig', which vehicle will be outside this Winter ? For how many months ? How frequently will you have access to it and be able to ventilate, dry out, and monitor it ?    -   Carl 

P.S. Please be nice and respectful of one another. Print communication can get off track and exaggerated fairly quickly. Delivered without the modulation of verbal form, much less the nuances and subliminal cues derived from face to face, the printed form has no decay time either. I think I see kindness and consideration misplaced and misunderstood here. So I, being just a human participant and hopefully a friend to all here, will take it upon myself to apologize and forgive where needed here and now. Carry on guys and gals !            

O.K.        ??????    -   CC 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C Carl said:

O.K. friends and men, gentle and otherwise : Please allow me to "spread a little oil" (please don't accuse me of being environmentally insensitive), on these somewhat tempest tossed waters by bringing us back to topic. Dig', which vehicle will be outside this Winter ? For how many months ? How frequently will you have access to it and be able to ventilate, dry out, and monitor it ?    -   Carl 

P.S. Please be nice and respectful of one another. Print communication can get off track and exaggerated fairly quickly. Delivered without the modulation of verbal form, much less the nuances and subliminal cues derived from face to face, the printed form has no decay time either. I think I see kindness and consideration misplaced and misunderstood here. So I, being just a human participant and hopefully a friend to all here, will take it upon myself to apologize and forgive where needed here and now. Carry on guys and gals !            

O.K.        ??????    -   CC 

Carl

It's my convertible and from the way the weather has delayed everything from tree removal to gravel delivery, it will be outside from late fall till spring snow melt.  If we get the severe cold winter weather as predicted keeping it dry until spring won't be a problem and a good cover should allow it to breath until the snow gets to deep. After that and barring a major blizzard with deep drifting snow, I should have enough room to get around the car and sweep the snow off the top. If we get a heavy snow fall with blizzard strength winds, the drifting snow will completely cover the car.

23 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

Carl

...........................a good cover should allow it to breath until the snow gets to deep. 

Maybe, then again maybe not. I was a tent maker decades ago. The finest small (2-4 person), tents ever made. Developed the world's first consumer Gore-Tex (TM) product, a tent called the Light Dimension. Please Google up Early Winters Omnipotent. I will send you my phone numbers by PM. I would like to talk to you directly. You may try to call me literally 24/7, as I am old and sometimes sleep irregularly. I always turn my phones off before sleeping or napping, so you can't possibly disturb me. I do sometimes forget to turn them  on, though.    -   Carl 

One more comment to the cover. A friend of mine left his cherished Mustang outside, chrome wheels removed, jack up high, and wrapped in a cover. In the Spring he removed the cover to find the wind moved the cover enough for small abrasives to wear the paint to bare metal on all the high spots. It cost him a paint job.

Last year I was short of space and rented a storage unit for the extra car. I think I paid for 5 months at $120 per month. More damage than that can occur without being obvious. So, depending on the car, it is money well spent.

One red flag goes up, you noted the convertible will have to sit outside. Why pick the car most vulnerable to the elements? There must be something with a steel top that can take the exposure.

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

One red flag goes up, you noted the convertible will have to sit outside. Why pick the car most vulnerable to the elements? There must be something with a steel top that can take the exposure.

Simply put, I started another car project and last spring I had two cars more than I could garage when I bought the lift that I wasn't going to buy until after I added more storage space and sold a car, but the deal was to good to pass on and that changed the way I could park in the garage. Didn't want to put the convertible outside, but new hoist narrowed available floor space and the new project meant something had to sit outside.  The last project, a steel roofed car, that could sit outside moved outside with the daily drivers and come April the convertible went up for sale. By August I had dropped the price 3 times without a single call and put the car that had been sitting outside up for sale. The next morning I had several calls and two people showed up to look at the car, when the second guy showed up the first guy reached into his pocket pulled out a wad of hundreds and gave me full asking price before the second guy could get out of his car. 

With the one car out of the way and working room to build, the almost everyday rain started and delayed everything from tree removal to dirt delivery leaving me a boat that will be and a ragtop that could and most likely be sitting outside this winter.

After writing this it occurred to me that I should mention the motivation behind selling off a car and adding un heated storage is the little lady wants to park her car inside the heated garage.

Edited by Digger914
After thought (see edit history)