!928 DB Senoir 6 Brakes

trini

;)^_^I had a helper bleed the brakes on my 28 D B. There is apparently no air in the system but the pedal is a little better than an inch off the floor when pushed down. There is quite a bit of free play on the pedal before it starts pumping. There is no rod to adjust free play on pedal. I cannot take pictures of the Master Cylinder because it is way down below the floor against the frame. THE ASSEMBLY HAS A NEW KIT and is stainless steel sleeved. Is there any type of adjustment mechanism inside the box ?  This a  large box about 4 inches square  and weighs a few pounds. Any help please ?   

nash parts 105.jpg

No Sir. Do you see the nut in the picture ? There are splines on the shaft and also in the pedal hole. The splines must be aligned to fit the 3/8   bolt hole  through the cut away grove on the shaft.(tighten to pinch)  It will not fit any other way. I am not sure if the lever inside the box can change position. Both the clutch and  pedal seems to be too high off the floor. I can adjust the clutch pedal lower. I am hoping someone  might be able to tell me if the position of the lever inside the box, if it can be  changed, and therefor  lower the pedal and take care of the free play. When the pedal is pushed the lever inside the box pushes on the piston. The lever inside the box is mounted on the same shaft.

@gundog99 posted a diagram from the book in

Is the cross section of the cylinder shown, like yours?

As you say, there appears to be no way to adjust the pedal free play etc. The usual reason the pedal goes down too far is the brakes need adjusting at the wheels, but you have done that. Hmmmm. The only way I can see is to remove the pedal, rotate the shaft so the lever is on the pin inside, then replace the pedal in the right position and pinch it up. The pinch bolt goes in a groove in the shaft?

I suspect your master cylinder set-up is very similar to that in the Imperial 80. Here is the manual for the Imperial 80. The brakes start on p. 68; the cross section of the master cylinder is very clear.

http://chrysler.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1928/Imperial 80 Instruction Book/068.htm

It says you need a "slight of pedal movement" before the lever contacts the piston pin, but I haven't yet seen how to adjust it. I suspect you do as I suggested above: remove the pinch bolt, remove the pedal, rotate the shaft to get the lever on the master cylinder pin or very nearly so, refit the pedal in the right place and refit the pinch bolt cum cotter pin.

Here is page 69 with the m.c. section:

image.thumb.png.c13d33024d1a7cffabd59fad3018357a.png

For the record, the master cylinder complete assembly on the Senior was also used on the Victory and 13 other models of Auburn, Graham-Paige, REO, Peerless, Stutz and Velie.

Spinneyhill, you make my day. The picture you published is the exact style in my DB. The lever # 4 in the illustration is where to adjust. That means I will have to remove and disassemble.  Adjust on the bench. I do not mind.  I can also lower the pedal height.Tell The Missus to give you a big kiss for me. 

Cheers mate.