Color restoration

Good evening,

Just bought an 1959 Edsel Corsair, and looking to restore it.  It is in good shape, runs well and some body restoration is needed.  However, as I have dived into the history of the car I have found out that it has been repainted to the gold (not sure if it is really the Durex Gold Metallic or not) and the original is all White (Snow white).  My question is when restoring this car how imperative (I know this will be opinions) is it that I go back to the Snow white color (all white).  It has the color code of EE on the door panel.  I realize this may create a interesting discussion. I am really wanting to do a two color theme such as Durex gold and white (trim between chrome and white top).  What is interesting is the trim molding has a round color code of Gold and white and green center (not sure if this is original or note).

I have attached pictures. I thank you our your thoughts?

Brian 

1959 Edsel.jpg

color emblem.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that it's absolutely necessary to paint it in it's original color configuration , but, I would stick to any other original color scheme for that model and year. Especially on a car that has a small following. Original will always beat out someones oddball or non original color scheme. Just my opinion. Of course, it's your car to do with what you desire.

It's your car, do what you like. However, it's rare for an owner-chosen color combination to turn out right. It always looks a little off. Most clubs do not deduct points if you use an available color from that year, even if it's not what came on that particular car. I even think it would be OK to choose a two-tone combination that wasn't offered but which is comprised of factory-correct colors from that year.

From a resale standpoint, using factory colors will typically preserve the car's value. Going with something you personally prefer will cut down on your potential market because you'll have to find another guy with your exact same tastes, which can often be a challenge.

Have fun with it--I think gold and white would look great!

• 3 weeks later...