MURRAY BODY CO. KNOWLEDGE?

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THR MURRAY AUTO BODY CO. OF DETROIT?

THEY MADE AUTO BODIES IN 20'S AND 30'S. WHICH CARS DID THEY BUILD FOR? ETC.

Here is a complete list of Murray body manufacture from Murray records

Car Bodies by Murray Corp. of America, 1925-54

1925: Jewett, Hupmobile, Rollin, Willys-Knight; Chandler, Jordan.

1926: Hupmobile, Marmon, Willys-Knight. Cleveland; Durant,

Jewett, Paige-Detroit, Chandler.

1927: Hupmobile, Marmon, Cleveland, Jordan, Studebaker, Erskine;

Chrysler, Dodge, Reo Wolverine .

1928: Hupmobile, Marmon, Jordan, Reo, Ford; Dodge, Peerless.

1929: Hupmobile, Reo, Chrysler, Ford; Peerless, Dodge Sr

1930: Ford, Reo, Hudson; Hupmobile.

1931: Ford, Reo, Hudson; Hupmobile, DeVaux.

1932: Ford, Lincoln, Packard; Hupmobile, De Vaux

1933: Ford, Lincoln, Packard; Continental.

1934: Ford. Lincoln, Hupmobile; Pierce-Arrow,Auburn, Graham.

1935: Ford, Packard. 1936: Ford. Packard.

1937: Ford, Packard, Chrysler, International-Harvester.

1938: Ford, Chrysler. International-Harvester

1939: Ford, Mercury. Plymouth; Crosley.

1940: Ford, Mercury, Crosley. 1941: Ford, Mercury.

1942: Ford, Mercury.

1945 : Ford, Mercury.

1946 : Ford, Mercury.

1947: Ford, Mercury.

1948: Ford, Mercury, Lincoln.

1949: Ford, Mercury, Lincoln.

1950: Ford, Mercury.

1952-54: Hudson Jet. Aero Willys (in white).

Notes: Italics denote stampings and wood parts only After 1939. Murray supplied knocked-down parts for Ford cars; no assembled bodies Source: Murray Corp. of America engineering records.

• Like 1

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES. THEY ARE VERY INFORMATIVE.

I HAVE A 1930 DODGE A-6 2-DOOR SEDAN W/MURRAY BODY. I'VE FOUND IT MAY BE

VERY RARE. ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY OTHERS IN ANY CONDITION? DODGE USUALLY USED

THE BUDD BODY CO. LOBO

• 5 years later...
Guest 1969z28

Hello,

Just wanted to point out an error on the Murray Body List. Murray did not make the Devaux bodies. They were made by the Hayes corporation.

Dennis

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

There are remains of one Reo Royale from 1931 which used to have a Murray body. I guess this was called Limousine. The car was bought by the state of Finland to be used by prime minister as his official vehicle. The body of the Reo still remains. Now I wonder what kond of work Murray Body Co. did to the body. Did they just take a standar 4D Sedan from production line and just added some metal to the frame and the body - in the middle of the car. Rest of the car looks like standard sedan. Any information about the changes made on the body is greatly appreciated.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

• 1 year later...
Guest detroit
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THR MURRAY AUTO BODY CO. OF DETROIT?

THEY MADE AUTO BODIES IN 20'S AND 30'S. WHICH CARS DID THEY BUILD FOR? ETC.

Hello, you can start with going to Coachbuilt.com, they have collected lots of information about my great grandfather, John W. Murray, and James R. Murray. Also, the manufacturing center where Murray built the bodies is called the Russell Industrial Center, which is now one of the largest artist communities in the country, I visit often and hope to develop a side business with one of the artist/furniture builders. You can go to The Russell Industrial Center, just google it, there is a facebook page as well.

I live in the neighborhood where my grandfather built the family home, it is still there, one block from me, in Detroit. If you find any information about John W. Murray or James R. Murray, please pass it on to me. Thank you and hope to hear from you.

• 4 years later...
On 5/23/2014 at 7:03 AM, detroit said:

Hello, you can start with going to Coachbuilt.com, they have collected lots of information about my great grandfather, John W. Murray, and James R. Murray. Also, the manufacturing center where Murray built the bodies is called the Russell Industrial Center, which is now one of the largest artist communities in the country, I visit often and hope to develop a side business with one of the artist/furniture builders. You can go to The Russell Industrial Center, just google it, there is a facebook page as well.

I live in the neighborhood where my grandfather built the family home, it is still there, one block from me, in Detroit. If you find any information about John W. Murray or James R. Murray, please pass it on to me. Thank you and hope to hear from you.

Detroit, are you still active on this board? I believe I am a descendant of John and James Murray and I do have some information about an all-steel plane they manufactured. I am trying to trace back my genealogy. 

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
51 minutes ago, dodge28 said:

Did Dussenburg have Murry body in the limos. 

No Duesenberg was bodied by Murray.  However, Murray owned Dietrich and there were a number of Dietrich bodied Duesenbergs.    Murray was a production body builder not a custom body builder.

• Like 1