Fuel pump and sender replacement

Degerb

Hi guys, I have a 1990 16V manual. As far as I can tell my car still has the original fuel pump and sender installed. I would like to replace both before they fail. A few years back I believe Hemi replaced his without removing the fuel tank completely, describing the process in our newsletter. My question is  in order to do this is it necessary to unbolt the track bar/Diagonal brace also or will the pump and sender slide out between the bar and axle?

7 minutes ago, Degerb said:

Hi guys, I have a 1990 16V manual. As far as I can tell my car still has the original fuel pump and sender installed. I would like to replace both before they fail. A few years back I believe Hemi replaced his without removing the fuel tank completely, describing the process in our newsletter. My question is  in order to do this is it necessary to unbolt the track bar/Diagonal brace also or will the pump and sender slide out between the bar and axle?

It is NOT necessary to remove anything but the tank retaining straps and remove the 4 filler tube Philips-head screws at the gas cap area.

It is a little TIGHT removing the original pump as it is bulkier than replacement pump.

Tank needs to be as low on fuel as possible to eliminate 7 Lb per gallon weight.  MUST be below 1/2 full at minimum if you are on a lift and have transmission jack under tank.

The new one will slip in much easier. Sending unit is a snap also.   I hope you are doing this on a lift!    It ain't easy on the ground!!!

Thanks Hemi.... I have her up on jack stands now,  just finishing replacing  the rear calipers and shocks. Before I de-jack I wanted to see what problems I might run into replacing the pump and sender. In the light of your input, it might be just one of those things that I better leave for the pros!

2 hours ago, Degerb said:

Well, I don't know bout that youngster.... LOL... I'M 84 feeling 90 after my brake n shock job on a concrete floor!

What’s another 4 years? But if you continue to feel 90, maybe you better farm it out.

What is an 84 year old doing with a 16 valve? I know, WE still want to feel young.

Enjoy it while you can. 😂

HAHa...... you made my day Hemi! I only feel 90 when I roll around on that concrete, my knees,elbows and hip bones keep reminding me! Besides that I just love the sound of that turbo when I climb thru the gears! Brings back the kid in me! Enjoy your fall wx in sunny Fort Mohave!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...