Buick 248 rocker assy pedestal height

39Cdan

Good Morning,

Anyone working on a 248 - may I trouble you to measure the height of a rocker shaft pedestal

(the distance from the top of the head where the pedestal meets the head, to the underside of the pedestal's longer bolt)?

Still trying to solve a mystery.

Had my 1939 248 rocker arm assy rebuilt.

Set the rebuilt assy on the head. Adjustment bolts were too short, ordered a longer set.

Please see attached pic.

The oil supply tube is resting on the top of the rocker before the bottom collar nut threads fully seat in the head.

Also, when I fully insert the top side of the tube into the top of the front pedestal, the threads do not touch the head.

Only theory I've got now is the assy came back with slightly higher pedestals.

Very grateful for someone to measure the height of their 248 rocker assy pedestals.

Thank you!

Kevin

Pedestal2hi.jpeg

2.76 inch.   I believe the problem is a missing fitting UNDER the oil line.  I have a 248 engine sitting in the garage I will check a little later.

Ben

EDIT:  Should be a brass fitting screwed into the head and the short pipe screwed into the fitting.Also a fitting in the side of the head. ONE of these will have only a small opening/restriction to reduce the amount of oil going to the rocker arms. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Kevin, the one Tom is showing is a '36, I think.  Later years do not use that system. Not sure when the tube just sticking in the top of the pedestal started. First 248 was 1937. Maybe then?  I believe yours will just poke into the hole in the pedestal. 

Ben

Ben, that is a picture of my `36 233, the original rocker assembly(all steel) was shot and replaced with one from a `38 248. The rocker on my `41 248 has the "poke in the hole". Also, on mine, the 90deg brass fitting, on the side of the head is the one with the smaller(restrictive) hole.

• Like 1

Thank you again Gentlemen!

Yep, when I pulled the rocker assembly the oil tube was simply poked down into the pedestal hole.

Too bad, I like the 'deliberate' look of the elbow.

Also, not surprisingly, I rolled out of bed this morning while saying to myself, "duh, another fitting joins the tube to the head".

Glad I took lots of pics of the carb before I removed it.

R,

Kevin

• Haha 1