47 to 41 engine swap

The trans in a 1941 is the M-4 Vacamatic... the 47 is the M-5 hydraulically operated transmission.

That's a problem as the vacuum/electrical controls and shifter rods, control cable etc.differ a lot.

Using the M-4 on the 47 Engine would be a good idea.

Also the throttle linkage is mounted different.

You would need both engines and Transmissions side by side to do a swap properly.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

C49er how different are the M4 and M6 cars? I have not worked on an M4 but the M6 models have 2 shifter rods to the trans, plus a simple wiring harness, special carburetor, and a little box with a resistor and a circuit breaker. Then the trans has the handbrake and speedo cable. The only sticky point would be the shift rods, everything else transfers over. I am ignoring for the moment things like motor mounts, radiator connections, carb linkage which should not be insurmountable.

Then again this might be one of those cases where the questioner is asking the wrong question. Beginners have a habit of assuming it is easier to swap engines than to fix one. Unless the 41 engine and trans is missing, or the rod is sticking thru the block, it would probably be easier to fix it .

OP also fails to state whether it is a six cylinder car or an eight cylinder car. What the hell, they are all the same aren't they (nope).

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

since I am abeginner I assumed it would just be easier to swap engines   the fluid drive in the 41 is fine but the problem is the engine and I haven't  seen an ad for rebuilding one    if you know of a rebuilder I would like to know    bob

They are a pretty simple engine and all parts are available. If there is an engine rebuilder or auto machine shop in your town they should be able to handle it. If not, ask around and find out where the old car guys take their engine work. Vintage Power Wagons in Iowa sells all kinds of parts,  since Dodge Power Wagons used the same engine. Last time I looked they had NOS pistons, $65 for a set of 6. How good do you want it?