Plymouth Volare brake question

plymouthcranbrook

So the last couple of times I drove my 80 Volare I have had problem with one of the rear drums locking up on the first couple of applications. Afterwards no problem no matter how long I drive     It.  I took both wheels and drum off today and did not find any fluid leak as I expected or any other issue except a lot of dust(note; brakes redone about two years and 1500 miles ago) I also noted that although no leaks were seen on the wheel cylinder on the right side the cups seemed to be slightly out of square.  Not loose and the pins seemed to be where they should be. I did not notice this when doing the brakes.  If needed I will try to post a photo.  I guess my first question is has any had dust cause lockup’s on drums and any opinions about the wheel cylinders I should say that the cylinders are original with 30,000 miles on them.

Clean all dust out, lubricate the backing plate where the shoes touch and flush the system if you are still using DOT3 fluid.

If you are lucky, you have fixed it. If not, probably the DOT 3 has started corrosion in a rear wheel cylinder that will mean rebuilding the wheel cylinders.

Was it always the same rear wheel, or did it vary? 

DOT 3 needs to be flushed every two -three years to keep corrosion at bay. DOT 5 needs to be flushed every um 30 or more years in my experience! I know cars running DOT 5  since the early 80s with NO maintenance, still good brakes!👍

• Like 3

I have to admit I decided to close it up for now and see it the problem is solved. Easy to remove things again if needed I did clean both sides and lubed again as you suggested. If not ok I will start on your other suggestions. Thanks for the responses

Also this is the first time any problems since I replaced the brakes so never had any lockup’s or pulling or?  Other than being dusty and the somewhat funny looking cylinder all was good

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...