adjusting solid lifters from start

steamgas

Ben

i have been rebuilding a 1952 Buick straight 8 engine 263 Ci engine.it has solid lifters and i am not sure if i an adjusting the valves correctly. the motor is sitting is a motor stand not in a car.to let you know what i did is this. i turned the engine until #1 cylinder was at tdc and the mark on the flywheel was in the timing window. then i adjusted the valves too .015,both int.& ext at this setting. then i moved to cyl #6 and repeated too adjust the valves there. i used a light hooked to the coil too tell me when the plug fired. i went all the way through the firing order like this but the engine still will not fire. i have too be doing something wrong. should i be setting the valves lash at the heel of the lobe? what would be the procedure too do it that way? can i start at cyl#1 at tdc and adjust say valves 5,8,1,7 etc just using this as a example.what do you think?

Tex holliday

With the cyl at TDC, for the particular cylinder where the plug is "firing", both valves should be closed.  Which means the lifters are on the part of the lobe where there is no lift, at that time.

There is another shade tree method of deciding which valves can be set/adjusted.  As you turn the engine over, when the intake valve opens, adjust the exhaust valve for that cyl.  When the exhaust valve opens, set the intake.  This should ensure that the valve which is closed is on the heel of the lobe.

I would not suspect that incorrectly set valves would prevent the engine from starting.  If it did start and they were not set correctly, then it would not run right, but still barely run.

I'm presuming that the cam gears are indexed correctly?  That the flywheel has a locating dowel and specific bolt pattern that allow it to be installed only ONE way, in ONE position?  Presuming the distributor is timed reasonably correct?  That the ignition points are clean and gapped correctly?  That the rest of the ignition/;charging system is working as it should?

Perhaps First Born can chime in?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

1 hour ago, steamgas said:

Ben

i have been rebuilding a 1952 Buick straight 8 engine 263 Ci engine.it has solid lifters and i am not sure if i an adjusting the valves correctly. the motor is sitting is a motor stand not in a car.to let you know what i did is this. i turned the engine until #1 cylinder was at tdc and the mark on the flywheel was in the timing window. then i adjusted the valves too .015,both int.& ext at this setting. then i moved to cyl #6 and repeated too adjust the valves there. i used a light hooked to the coil too tell me when the plug fired. i went all the way through the firing order like this but the engine still will not fire. i have too be doing something wrong. should i be setting the valves lash at the heel of the lobe? what would be the procedure too do it that way? can i start at cyl#1 at tdc and adjust say valves 5,8,1,7 etc just using this as a example.what do you think?

Tex holliday

Tex, Willi8s is correct except for the flywheel indexing.  UIf it wasoff, You COULD have it wrong.Hopefully not the case.

The method given in the shop manual for hydraulic lifter adjustments will work.

#1 cyl TDC                                                         #8 Cyl TDC

Adjust                                                                    Adjust

cyl #1    both                                                          Cyl# 2 Int

Cyl #2 Ex                                                                  Cyl #3 both

Cyl #4 both                                                             Cyl #5 Both

Cyl # 6 both                                                             Cyl #7 Ex

Cyl # 7 Int                                                                 Cyl # 8 Both

I would set them at 16, then redo when engine is at operating temp.

Check the things Willis mentioned. 

Where you located?

Ben

• Thanks 1