1908 Metz were is the ID. number

Foreman715

You may have to be satisfied with only an engine number. However 1903-08 orient buckboards had a serial number stamped on the left hand back corner of the metal frame. I suggest you contact the other owners of the several Metz plan cars still in existence. George Albright gnalbright@gmail.com. Ps please post photos of it!

Dear Foreman,,

The serial number is located on the top engine cover flange, by the engine breather. Also on internal engine components, if they have not been changed. The "plan car" has no frame/vehicle numbers.

If the vehicle you are looking at is a 1908 it would be a Waltham Manufacturing Company vehicle. The Metz was not produced until September-October 1909. The most notable difference in the 1909 engine is the use of ball bearings in the connecting rods, (easy to see with top cover removed}. Early in 1910 the rods were converted to babbitt bearings. Also the bore and stroke were changed going from a 10hp engine to a 12hp engine. I am presently believed to own the oldest two Metz "plan cars" in existence. I along with Franklin B. Tucker have done extensive research on the Metz/Waltham automobiles. Hope this small bit of information is helpful to you, and good luck.

IMG_20190624_090929742.jpg

pennyday 003.jpg

• Like 2

I just donated in December my extensive collection of Orient items including letters,3 dozen pin backs etc etc to the Waltham museum in Waltham mass. Go by and see the cool stuff including the one and only

1904-05 Waltham orient four cylinder 20 hp touring car I donated approximately 15 years ago to them .franklin Tucker gave me several orient silver spoons before his death. I also donated that stuff as well. Cheers George Albright 

• Like 1