1954 Chry T&C wagon

I was reading a old service station stick-on service oil change sticker on my driver door jam. It read Dorothy Preston's Chevron of Wanatchee Washington.  So this must have been where my 1954  Chrysler NY Town & country wagon was from back in the day..  I was wondering if I could find someone that may remember seeing this wagon in that area. 

DSC03462(1).JPG

DSC03471.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 8:00 AM, Frank Wilkie said:

I was reading a old service station stick-on service oil change sticker on my driver door jam. It read Dorothy Preston's Chevron of Wanatchee Washington.  So this must have been where my 1954  Chrysler NY Town & country wagon was from back in the day..  I was wondering if I could find someone that may remember seeing this wagon in that area. 

Hey Frank, 

if no response here you may want to reach out to the Wenatchee WA Historical Society, the Genealogy Society or maybe even the Historical Preservation of buildings in the area. 

http://www.washingtonhistory.org/

https://wags-web.org/

https://www.wenatcheewa.gov/government/community-and-economic-development/historic-preservation

Good luck,

Dave

If that car was in Wenatchee WA in 1976 I definitely would have seen it, and noticed, but I just don't remember it. 1950s cars were generating a lot of interest at that time, lots of people around here were fixing them up to drive daily. There were many on the road, The local antique car club had a Kaisers, Frazers, Edsels, Ford retractables, a 53 Olds convertible, etc. in addition to the older cars. I had recently bought a 53 BelAir.

IIRC Dorothy Preston Chevron was across the street from the courthouse. She was fairly well known, and had a good reputation. There were not many women who were professional mechanics in those days.

Wenatchee World - Jan 15, 2003

Dorothy June Preston, 89, a lifelong resident of the Wenatchee area, passed away Sunday, Jan. 12, 2003, in Cashmere Convalescent Center.

She was born June 16, 1913 to Jay F. and Isabelle "Belle" (Bjurke) Buttles at Leavenworth. She spent her early life near Blewett pass where her father mined.

She was raised and educated in Wenatchee, graduating from Wenatchee High School in 1929.

She lived in Wenatchee off and on until one day in 1942 she rode her bicycle into a service station on Wenatchee Avenue and asked for a job. After working there only a short time and displaying a great ability, she became the chief operator of the station. Standard Oil Company provided Dorothy training in mechanical work and also how to do the book work.

After the war she opened up her own station, the Chevron on the corner of Okanogan and Methow on "less than a shoestring" and built it into a paying proposition.

In 1958 Standard Oil moved her across the street and opened her new Chevron station located at 100 Okanogan Avenue, aptly named Dorothy Preston's Chevron Service. In her thirty-eight years as a Chevron dealer, she has operated three Wenatchee stations and in November of 1980 she closed the doors to the service station and retired.

After her retirement she traveled with Elderhostel, volunteered for Central Washington Hospital, drove mobile meals, was a volunteer for Our House and taught students to read with the Literary Council at the Wenatchee Valley College and worked with the Salvation Army. Dorothy was a member of the Wenatchee Valley Senior Center and of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

Survivors include her son, Tom (Diane) Preston of Leavenworth; her daughter, Judy (Cleve) Borth of Seattle; one stepdaughter, Marjean Ann Shea of Las Vegas; six grandchildren, fourteen great- grandchildren and her friend, Mary Jacobson.

She was preceded in death by her brother, Gordon and one grandson, Shane Preston.

Memorial services will be held, 10 a.m., Friday, Jan. 17, 2003, at Telford's Chapel of the Valley with Mr. Jim Caulkins officiating. Services will conclude in the chapel. Inurnment will be held at the Wenatchee City Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Bailey Boushay House or to the Salvation Army.

Arrangements are by Telford's Chapel of the Valley, East Wenatchee.

I think this is it:

A8CF648C19C7B6464C60F677810DD7B8.Jpg?wid

• Like 1