rear axle removal tool

fordmerc

Packard manuals (46-50) describe "Puller J-2552" which looks to be a slide hammer system to remove the axle. It seem to be attached to the axle at the end of the axle where the axle nut would be. Is this understanding correct? -this seems like a lot of pull on the threads (?)  Would this apply also to a '41 120? The final question is how to get such an attachment since contemporary slide hammer systems don't seem to screw on to an axle? Comments and advice on removing  my rear axle will be appreciated.

[ Reason for removal is a noise in the rear end that doesn't sound good.]

Often you don't need a puller, just grasp and use a bit of muscle, all you're doing is pulling the bearing race from the housing.  If you can't do it with your hands you can improvise something like this that I used on my '34 Eight.  In this case a gear puller is attached to the nut and then a chain to a slide hammer.  In the absence of a gear puller you could use a steel plate with a hole large enough to fit over the axle end.  Just improvise!  This type of axle/bearing construction is basically the same for Packard from 1955 back to the teens.

axle puller.jpg

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

I made an adapter for my slide hammer to sort of duplicate the factory tool by buying a short medium grade bolt that was still easy to drill and tap for the thread on my slide hammer.  Bolt was about 2"  long and the same thread as the axle.   I also bought a coupling nut in the same thread.   According to the parts manual the 41 120 axle has a 7/8-14 thread which is a common size.   McMaster Carr sells items in that thread if it is something not found locally.

After the bolt was drilled I threaded the bolt into the coupling nut and the coupling nut on the axle then threaded the hammer on to make a solid assy.   One nice thing about the arrangement is as long as the slide hammer is a decent size you can use the length of the slide hammer for some added leverage in holding the axle as you pull it out so it doesn't drag across the inner seal or in guiding it back into the splines at the carrier.   If the slide hammer is on the small size you could use a length of all thread for the leverage.

You can also use the brake drum as a puller...slip the drum on with the nut screwed on a few threads. Then use the drum as a slide hammer.

I just did a 1941 180 Brougham that way a month ago. Easy peasy.

I was too lazy to get the slide puller out.

I just completed one axle removal !

I welded a 7/8 14 nut to a 5/8 12 nut, used a piece of threaded rod screwed into the smaller nut, attached  the larger to the axle, slipped a 1" pipe over the  rod, placed a large washer  on the end of the rod and a bolt to hold it in place , and voila !  ... a poor man's slide hammer effective for this purpose ! 

[A word of caution to all who might try this: make sure the car is far enough from the garage wall to allow axle removal - preferably more than the 2 inches I had left.]