Tour recommendations

On a previous topic by Mark,  it was asked where it would be possible to hold a Tour. I'd like to expand on that and ask what makes a Tour memorable. All Tours are good, some are a little bit better. I'm working on a Reliability Tour for 2020 and I need input. I have never been on a Reliability Tour so I'm not familiar with the limitations the older cars might have. Whats your opinion on coffee stops, lunches and dinners?     

How far do you like to travel each day. Is a trouble truck necessary? Is it possible to spend one night away from the Host hotel. Is it better to keep the number of cars around 30?

Please give me your thoughts.

Bob Giles

Bob,

I have run some tours for another club, I found that the bathroom stops seem to be a big problem in finding a place that can handle a group of people without loosing a lot of time. Also run in small groups makes it easier, because no matter how hard you try the group will get split up.

Bob,

I have four brass cars and hope to do more touring in the future. My first big tour with my 1912 McLaughlin-Buick was a Snappers/HCCA tour in Kalamazoo, MI in 2008. They had a 100 cars. My wife and I hosted a Snappers tour in the Troy, Ohio area about 8 years ago with about 40 cars. I have done the last three Ohio Model T Jamborees in Findlay, Berlin and Akron, Ohio. I want to do Reliability at some point maybe yours if work does not get in the way. After I retire in a couple years it will be easier. I think the most important thing for brass car tours is having quick access to rural area roads. I would avoid large metro areas.  An occasional four lane non interstate road with maybe 55 MPH speed limits are ok so modern cars can get around or in town. I also think is it important to not stay on the same road for long to create back ups. Some participants call tours crooked roads between food. I believe most Reliability Tours are with four cylinder and six cylinder cars. Excellent directions are a must. Trouble trucks are nice but most brass owners have towing insurance. Others can chime in. The most common of course are brass Model T's that run at 30-35 MPH without modifications. Given the rare nature of non Fords on a tour like this I would try to avoid dirt or gravel roads other than driveways or short distances to a stop. As far as stops, brass cars collections in the area are always a big hit or other car collections along with historical places of interest, old homes, farms, business tours of wineries, breweries, a dairy, animal sanctuaries, Museums and collections etc. . Depending on stops, usually 70 - 100 miles per day. On the Kalamazoo, Mi Tour we probably did only 30 miles one of the days as we spend it at the Gilmore Museum.  Hopefully others will chime in but you can check with others in PA. HCCA and Snappers does the Hershey Hanover tour each year. You might want to sign up if you have a brass car or see if they can get you a ride. I believe the hosts name is Jeff Leshner and his wife Tracy who is the HCCA Horseless Gazette editor. Her Mother was past AACA President. They would be great contacts for you as I think they also help host a large spring brass tour in PA. I would also check with the hosts of the last couple Reliability tours to get ideas and participants. Parking for car trailers at or near the hotel is important. Some like myself tow with a Motorhome and like to stay in it while on the tour either in the hotel of nearby parking lot or a nearby campground. Hope the helps a little. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply’s. I have already talked with those with experience. I’m hoping to get some opinions from people that went on the Tours and not planned the Tours.

I planned the 2017 Vintage and 2018 Divisional Tours in this general area.(north central Pa.)  I was hoping to capitalize on my experience  and present this area to a Reliability group of people. I’m just not sure of the capability of the Reliability cars.

Bob Giles

The majority of cars on Reliability Tours are four cylinder 20 hp to 35 hp like Model T's, Overlands, Buicks. They are comfortable at 30-40 MPH speeds on flat ground but the lower HP one bog down to maybe 20 or less on steep hills. 30-35 HP ones will take the hills a little faster. You will also have some six cylinder cars like Pierce Arrows, Stevens, Locomobiles and V8 Cadillacs that can run 45-50 or more. That extra 10 mph costs means double, triple or more in cost thus why more four cylinder cars on tour and the most common being a Ford since parts are made in volume vs Non Ford parts being custom made. All of them have so so two wheel brakes unless modified. You will find on days when it rains, many brass cars will stay in their trailers and tow vehicles will be used. They are certainly all capable of going most places as many have done cross country trips like the Swanns from PA did a few years ago in their 1912 EMF.  They have very interesting blog on their trip that you can Google. As far as 2cylinder cars, not many attend unless the routes are set up for them as most 2 Cy Maxwells,, curve dash Olds, ROE's Etc run on the flat at 25 MPH and maybe 5-10 on steep grades. Sometimes you might have a steam car like a Stanley that have plenty of power and can keep up with the big boys but need water every 40-50 miles that they get from Fire Stations, willing area residents hoses, lakes or rivers. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1