Trying to solve a Packard mystery!

md murray

Would anyone know where/how to start tracing down an old registration for a vehicle in URUGUAY? This one I assume was a government owned vehicle given the 3 digit plate number -at 1:05 is a great shot of front plate showing what looks to be either "3BD" or "38D". Does anyone know if there is a way to possibly obtain the motor number of this car using the old Uruguay plate number? The Don C Boulton collection had an old Pope-Hartford also from Uruguay and I read that they had used old registration info. to find origins of the car. Does anybody know of any existing AACA members residing in Uruguay?

-I won't bore anyone with the backstory here but have found several videos of this Packard; a right-hand drive 143 7-pass touring driving some very famous people around Montevideo Uruguay on their way to/from Buenos Aires. I have the twin to this car and its history is also a total mystery to me aside from being from the same city and having also been owned by the government at one point.

- I wish I had paid better attention in Spanish class:D Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction? thanks

Edited by md murray (see edit history)

• md murray changed the title to Trying to solve a Packard mystery!

There is a '25 Packard in  Montevideo's antique car museum. Maybe if you contact them they have some documents?

Un paseo imperdible para los amantes de los autos
Fundado en 1983, el Museo del Automóvil “Eduardo Iglesias”, es el primer y único museo del país dedicado al automóvil y su historia.

Fue creado con el objetivo de salvaguardar una parte fundamental del patrimonio cultural de la nación y es abierto al público de forma gratuita.

Montevideo
Estación Central de Servicios | Colonia 1251 piso 6 | Tel.: 1707 int. 823

Abierto de lunes a viernes de 14.00 a 19.00 horas.
Coordinación de visitas grupales:
museodelautomovil@acu.com.uy

Punta de Este
Exhibición de Autos Clásicos – Entrada: $ 200 (niños gratis).

La Antigua Estación | Av. Gorlero y Calle 30

Martes a domingos de 10:00 a 18:00 horas.

http://acu.com.uy/museo-del-automovil/

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Montevideo Motor Museum

This item appears on page 52 of the November 2011 issue.
In Montevideo, Uruguay, the Museo del Automóvil (Colonia 1251; phone 902 47 92), at the corner of Colonia and Yi streets, is a hidden gem in more ways than one.
First, none of the tourist information my wife and I collected in Uruguay mentioned the museum. My wife and I learned about it from the Uruguay chapter in the 2010 Lonely Planet guidebook “Argentina.”

The museum is also hard to find. It’s located on the sixth floor of a parking garage at 1251 Colonia Street. Head toward the middle of the garage and take the small elevator behind the gas station and near an office of the Automóvil Club del Uruguay, which runs the museum. If there was a sign anywhere nearby for the museum, we didn’t see it.

The museum has a wide range of vintage cars, most fully restored. I estimate the total collection to number three to four dozen.

The friendly gentleman who hosted our November ’10 visit didn’t speak English but managed to cover the highlights and convey his enthusiasm for these old cars. He showed us the attached shops where the restoration takes place and allowed us to see cars in the process of being restored. I was even allowed to have my photograph taken while sitting in a Ferrari.

Some of the more unusual cars in the museum include a 1910 Hupmobile, a 1948 Riley, a 1935 Morris, a 1920 Stutz and a 1910 Panhard Levassor. A 1939 Cadillac, a 1930 Ford Model A and a 1923 Ford Model T are among the classic American autos displayed.

The museum is open 5-9 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 3-9 weekends. Admission is free, with donations appreciated. I consider this humble museum to be the highlight of our three-day November ’10 visit to Montevideo.

STEPHEN ADDISON

https://www.intltravelnews.com/2011/11/montevideo-motor-museum

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Thank you yes I had sent an email to them about a year ago but never heard back. You're absolutely right, I should start with these folks I'm sure they could help. Did you happen to notice the 1925 Packard when you walked through? I had seen it listed but it never seems to appear in any of the photos that I can find of the museum collection online. I have also been trying to get a line back from the Montevideo Classic Car Club which has a very impressive looking website and certainly looks to be well established. Though I hate to do it I think facebook may be my best bet here. Surely there must be someone in the old car community over there that I can establish a little dialog with and try and get some questions resolved.

much thanks! Miles