10C touring top

odat

How do I tighten up the fabric on my new 10C roof. It flaps at speeds over 25 .

I looked at the small belt straps and they do not seem to help. I think it is just and adjustment but can't find any information. 

If the top is lose, and adjusting straps doesn't help, then the pads are tighter than the top.

The only way to try to fix is to unfasten fabric along rear bow, pull tighter (preferably in the warm sun when fabric can stretch),  an tack it back down.  Not a huge job, but I'd say that's what needs to be done....

Both the straps and the top are equally loose. They where tight before a 1 hr. parade. I just sprayed water on it to see if it will shriek back.

It looks like a big job to disconnect it and pull it tight.

Dick,

Wetting won't work to tighten up modern synthetic top materials.

It's not uncommon that a new top and pads will stretch in use. Especially if wasn't tightened well enough to begin with.  

If it's just the top section that is loose, than as David pointed out, you only have to retighten the top and pads at the rear bow.

If the top also sagged as it loosened, then you also have to retighten where the top and pads are tacked across the back of the body.  That downward pull of the rear section on the rear bow is part of what keeps the top from sagging in the middle of it's length.

There's no quick and easy way to do it.

You might want to bring it back to whoever did the top and have them retighten it.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Have you considered taking the top off the car, Washing it in HOT water, and putting it in the dryer on High Temp Tumble?

This worked really well for the wool sweater I got caught in the rain with once...  Shrank that sweater in no time flat!!! 

Seriously.... Like Paul said...Take it to the folks who installed it and see if they would do a service on it for you.

Otherwise, you'll just have to drive below 25 mph to keep it from flapping.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 1:01 PM, odat said:

Both the straps and the top are equally loose. They where tight before a 1 hr. parade. I just sprayed water on it to see if it will shriek back.

It looks like a big job to disconnect it and pull it tight.

When I said "not a huge job", I guess I was referencing relative to putting on a whole new top.  I think it would take about 8 to 10 hours to take all the fasteners out, removing finish welting, tighten top and pads and straps, and put it together again. Maybe a little less if one had a few cups of coffee first!

That's also with the caveat that the person who put the top on did it correctly, and the top panels overlap the rear panel where they're both attached to the rear bow.  Thus, one shouldn't have to remove rear panel to do the job.

A properly installed top may ripple a little, but if it audibly flaps then there's an issue....