1962 364 c.u. Engine

drhach

Casting numbers and or engine numbers would tell you what you have.  Your air cleaner might be off a 364, who would know.

That's it. The intake bolts are 9" apart and the block casting coincides to 401. I'm not sure how that air cleaner got on there. My brother had it appraised many years ago and the appraisal also said "364". My uncle bought the car new, I figured that maybe he cheaped out and selected a 364 versus 401. It seems not. I inherited this car from my brother last year and I'm stillteying to figure out everything he did or didnt do to it.

What exactly does the air cleaner say on it?  Can you post a picture?  Remember, the numbers on a Buick air cleaner denote the torque rating, not the cubic inches or horsepower.

Here's a list of '62 LeSabre engines.

ENGINE
NO.
NO.
CYL
CID
H.P.
COMP.
RATIO
CARB.
TRANS.
2I
2LI
4I
L4I
9.0:1
2BC
2BC
4BC
4BC
AUTO
AUTO
AUTO
AUTO

Here's where you look for the "ENGINE NO." (PRODUCTION CODE NUMBER)

1737109968_Nailheadproductioncodestamping.jpg.2fd83e497a181a4728ae670415929d36.jpg

The ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER shown in the illustration should match the VIN number of your car.  "Numbers Matching."  The illustration is for a 1966;  your Engine Serial Number will be a lot shorter for 1962*.   It will have a 4 in it for Buick, and an I (not a 1) for 1962.  Differences in the four engines in the chart are due to compression ratios and carburetors.  Time to start scratchin' through some dirt and paint?

I think the two engine codes with the L in them are export engine, but I have no proof but this would hold true for other similar Buick engines based on the compression ratio.

*Decoding 1962 Buick VIN numbers

VEHICLE
IDENTIFICATION
NUMBER

BUICK
4 I 1 5 0 1 5 5 5

Commonly referred to as the VIN NUMBER, this series of numbers and letters is stamped on a plate attached to the left front door hinge pillar. Also stamped on the top surface of the engine block forward of the valve cover on the left side.
FIRST DIGIT: Identifies the series
SERIES
Special
V-6
Special Deluxe
Skylark
LeSabre
Invicta
Electra 225
A
SECOND DIGIT: Identifies the model year (I = 1962)
THIRD DIGIT: Identifies the assembly plant
ASSEMBLY PLANT
Flint, MI
South Gate, CA
Linden, NJ
Kansas City, KS
Wilmington, DE
Atlanta, GA
Arlinton, TX
LAST 6 DIGITS: Represent the basic production numbers. Starting number 501001/up

The number in the illustration (411501555) decodes as follows

4 = LeSabre

I = 1962

1 = Flint, MI

501555 - unique production number

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your response. All casting numbers indicate 401. The width of the intake bolts is 9" (401). The VIN on the engine matches the VIN on the body. The engine code indicates 401 2 Barrel. So, it's the original engine. However, the air cleaner says "375", which I understand to be the torque. The 401 2 barrel was 385, right? I looked up that value (375) and it corresponds to the 1961 "364" engine. The car has been in my family since it was new. However, all of the previous owners are deceased. I can't ask if anyone has installed a different air cleaner. I doubt very much that they did. I know mistakes like that aren't uncommon in the automotive industry. The hard part is that I've been assuming all this time that I had a 364. Thankfully I haven't bought the 4 barrel manifold that I've been looking for. 

20190530_071404.jpg

Edited by drhach (see edit history)

Back then, it would probably have been odd to swap air cleaners on a Buick, I suspect.  What might account for the decreased torque rating might be a "low compression 2bbl engine option"?  If the normal 401 2bbl was "high compression".  Haven't looked at any specs, just speculating.  OR the possibility that an "Export" engine was specified, with an even lower (than the "normal" low) compression motor?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Yes, that is the answer. I was able to find a Buick "Facts Book" for a (relatively) low price. The 9.0:1 2BBl 401 was optional. The published torque for that model was 375 ft-lbs. This is further borne out by the "2LI" stamped on the engine block (2 barrel, low compression). I'm not sure about export, but the manual specifies that the "L" represents a low compression model and the facts book substantiates that this was an option for people wanting "improved economy". 

• Like 1