what car is number 5?

An English Grand Prix driver whose name escapes me. I think he died driving a Jaguar saloon in a road accident racing Rob Walker (probably in his 250 SWB Ferrari), an occurence that apparently bothered Walker for a long time.

Undoubtedly it looks like a V-8 Horsch from 1935-36. The four-circle Auto Union crest is visible in the grille. All of the pictures I can find after 1937 show a 2-piece windshield. The only picture of a 1937 I could find was a convertible coupe with a 2-piece windshield.

More puzzling, literally every picture of a Hosch four door I can find from the 1930's shows four suicide doors. Could this one be a special? Or is that not a door handle on the trailing end of the back door?

Sure I do. It's just a matter of the computer booted me off and didn't post my name. I'm tired of beating the dead horse of people against street rods. I may not want them at an AACA meet, but they do have an interest in preserving a vehicle and they've had to fight against clunker legislation just as we have. I was just pointing out that for the first time a certain individual made a post that wasn't killing a horse for once.

I made the Michael Parkes guess. I now think it is Mike Hawthorne. The other driver is Damon Hill (I think), son of world Champion Graham Hill and a World Champion in his own right.