brake drums

rjp

Roger,

Are you aware that the club sells new drums for 29 - 32  to rivet onto your hubs. They are slightly thicker and stronger than originals., 

If your swapping drums with hubs still attached there's a difference in 29 verses  later hubs and how they fit with the wheel bearings and seals.. So, which do you need, 130 or 145  because they are not the same hubs.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

If Ed Joy has a old drum to see if what I want to do will work ,I like the sound of the new drums. We will see. The person before me welded spacers and ahome made adaptor for the wire wheels

Check the aluminum differential casting.... there should be a casting date on top viewed with a mirror. And the gear ratio will be stamped into the rear face of the aluminum flange where the passenger side axle tube joins it. It's stamped in the form of a fraction. Divide the bottom number by the top number to get the ratio.

The 29 and earlier use a single outer wheel bearing and have to have the cast iron seal retainer machined to accept a modern seal, or shim the original seal back to a snug fit.

For 1930 they went to a rear axle with two tapered opposed outer wheel bearings and a stamped sheet metal seal retainer that will accept a modern press-fit lip seal. Both the bearings and  seal are  a size that  modern equivalents are available new.  

Paul

• Like 1

Ok, lets try this way.

The brake backing plate attaches to a tapered casting that is welded onto the outboard end of the axle tube called the "brake carrier". That casting also contains the wheel bearing and seal.

Measuring from the backing plate toward the differential, that tapered casting should be about 5-1/8 inch long if it's a 1930 or later double wheel bearing rear axle (drawing 45487).

If the tapered casting is about 3-13/16 inches long than it's a 1928 or 29  single wheel bearing axle (drawing 36010).

Note, the 28 brake drums are a dished shape, so the new drums won't fit on properly in relation to the brake shoes.

Paul

• Like 1

Roger, 

July 11 1929. That could be a later production 29 or an early 30. Obviously, the castings runs would be made long before the car. And the first production cars came out in the later part of the previous year. I've seen  an early production 31 with a July of 30 differential casting date.  To be sure, measure the brake carrier tapered length and see if it matches either of the measurements in my last post. 

29 or30, the good news is that it will take the new brake drums. 

Paul