1970 Imperial LeBaron coupe $5500

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/d/southgate-1970-chrysler-imperial/6872303658.html

Not mine, but as some of you know I like posting driver level cars that most of us can afford and enjoy.  You can pick this one apart - for $15,000 - but at a probable cash selling point of $4500 to $5000, it's tough to beat. 

I for one love the fuselage Mopars of 1970-1973.  Unfortunately there is not enough time for me left on earth to collect everything.  As the seller notes, these are rare. I saw a one owner  1972 2 door for sale here in Des Moines that went for $1500, but I was cash poor at the time of viewing. 

This one looks great with a serviceable interior. If you have to restore an interior on one of these, it's game over. Sure, I see some odd bumps under the vinyl top, but I wax that top or seal it and live with it.  Great looking patina paint and chrome shines bright. 440 is a reliable motor, as is the 727 transmission.  Had Chrysler legitimately tried to challenge Cadillac and Lincoln, this is the equal to either. 

00K0K_DPHGAIzfcj_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_iiHwNgUUW5n_600x450.jpg

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes.  Anytime a manufacturer tries something different but tasteful, I applaud that effort.  Cadillac and Lincoln dogmatically stuck to the 3 box styling so as not to offend their base clientele*.  And I am a member of the Cadillac LaSalle Club and like the 70's styling from them, but just looking at this rear 3/4 angle you see that Chrysler got it right with the Imperial.  Interior is tasteful, and although all 3 luxury makes had bulletproof mechanicals in these years, Chrysler saw no need to increase the cubic inches to chase Ford (460) or Cadillac (472-500).  Power delivery and torque are equal essentially. 

The biggest plus to me is the seamless integration of the front and rear bumpers accentuated by the hideaway headlights.  A superbly clean design.  And rarely seen.  These cars simply do not get restored due to cost, and many give up their 440's and 727's for "muscle cars".  What a shame.  I have the money but I must resist.  Anyone closer, with garage space, should well consider this as a great touring car for AACA.

*Admittedly each had "personal luxury variants" which I like, again, too bad Chrysler did not embrace this market and have one too.

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

The rear bumpers integrate into the body so well. Overall one of the most stylish big cars ever built. Impossible to find here in Ontario Canada and to expen$ive to import!

I have a near mint condition 73 4 door which I really like, but still would rather have a 69-70 coupe.

apr3 028.jpg