54 New Yorker cold blooded

ah65

Thanks for all the replies, I think I deleted my previous post.  It sounds like they were slow to warm-up and If I repair the heat riser that could help.

But after a good drive it doesn't get over 170 on the temp with a 180 thermostat.  Does anyone know of a hotter thermostat that fits?

It would be great to here from others with similar cars if they run so cold.  Thanks, Joe

54 Chrysler3.jpg

How do you know it doesn't get over 170? The heat gauge has no numbers. If you are using a laser thermometer on the thermostat housing, your thermostat is defective. You could fit a 195 thermostat but they need a 16# cap and your cooling system is not made to stand that much pressure. I think your car came with a 4 or at most, 7 pound cap. Best stick with a 180 thermostat.

Where and how are you taking the temp?

If it is running at 170o, a 195o thermostat won't make one iota of difference. If you have a 180o thermostat in place and it doesn't reach that temperature, the thermostat will not open! (if it works). If you use an IR thermometer, put it on the engine side of the thermostat housing for the temperature. Or on the head(s). The hottest place will be around the spark plugs on a side valve. My IR thermometer doesn't work well when held near the HT leads.

I installed a temp gauge with numbers.  It reads 170 and I have checked with a thermometer at the sender in the block, it says 170.

The thermostat is new and it replaced another new one with same results.  It's possible I could have two bad ones and I could check.

Doesn't a hotter thermostat open and close at that temp, so a 180 should be 180 and a 190 should be 190?

Yes, but you are not reaching the opening temperature for a 180 so a hotter thermostat won't make any difference.

Is there any bypass arrangement that would allow coolant to circulate without going through the thermostat?

Dumb question out of ignorance: is there any other system of temperature control, such as radiator shutters? (I come from the '30s. LoL) Is there a heater? Turn it off so no water goes to it?

What do you mean by "heat riser"? The butterfly in the exhaust manifold that directs hot air around the inlet below the carb? That will speed warmup (in particular, prevent icing in the carb.) but won't affect running temperature.

If the temp never gets to 180 that makes sense on the thermostat.  I'll try to determine if any coolant is getting by.

No shutters but will make sure the heater is off.

The butterfly on the exhaust is what I call the heat riser, it was frozen shut and I took it off for now.

As you say it wouldn't heat coolant temp, just warm-up.  Joe

You are saying the thermostat never opens. I can't see how you can drive any car very far without it getting hot enough to open the thermostat. Does the upper rad hose get hot to the touch? If so your thermostat is defective. Otherwise the heater may be all that is cooling the engine. How far are you driving? If you can go 10 miles and the thermostat never opens, and the engine never gets above 170 you have some kind of miracle car.

The Chrysler V8 is a big, heavy engine. There is a lot of iron there, and it takes a long time to warm up. I'm not sure it would reach full operating temp after 10 miles. But it should be warm enough to open the thermostat.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)