Buick Almendrones- Buicks of Cuba

MrEarl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A picture of a Cuban Buick displayed in a Miami,  Cuban hamburger joint. A Cuban hamburger is called a “Frita” and is made with beef and a mixture of pork sausage served with string potato chips

IMG_2937.jpeg

IMG_2938.jpeg

IMG_2939.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There you have it my friends, this is what a so called "Cuban Car" in this case a Buick looks like. straight from the horses mouth, now equipped with a Perkins diesel engine and a Czechoslovakian 5 speed manual tranny and rear end from a Praga truck. Has new tires and a new battery, all for 13,000 US dollars. To me it looks like an all American Iron trying to survive along with the owner from a very, very difficult situation.

IMG_3644.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Key West-Havana Ferry could accommodate 500 passengers and 125 cars. Arrival in Havana was at 6:00 PM, so the crossing took about 7 hours. The fare was $13.50 one way, or $26.00 round trip (about $190.00 in 2010 dollars). The ship then left Havana for the trip back to Key West at 10:00AM, so you were back in Key West at 5:00 PM.

IMG_4475.jpeg

Looking at the shopping district in Havana reminds me of something that my former law partner told me. He took a vacation in Cuba in 1957. He was surprised to find that almost all of the retail businesses in Havana were open 24 hours. He was from New York and had never seen such a thing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

History Travel is promoting a trip to Cuba to see vintage cars along other activities as cigar factory trips, restaurants and city sightseeing. No politics intended but just few blocks away from tourist destinations, you can see the real Cuba. Just look 👀 behind the blue Buick. From a very recent YouTube video. A picture tells a thousand things. 

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_5101.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...