Buick Almendrones- Buicks of Cuba

MrEarl

So my neighbours went to Cuba (Havana I think...) and saw this Special convert. Upon seeing it they thought I could have been there with my car!

Recognise the buildings to pin point the city at all?

DSCN1315.JPG.31c636a84f97712880a2464715305844.JPG

1325225801_DSCN1316(2).JPG.9037d57bc8437a7772ed41a232bb28f5.JPG

• Like 3

Almendrón is a Cuban folklore name given to all 1950’s American cars that roams the streets and highways of Cuba. The Almendrón is a round, oval shaped seed of the almendron tree which is kind of a rusty color that resembles these old cars. After the unsuccessful Cuban revolution that set  the country back for more than 60 years,  and still controls the island, these vehicles are still running due to the ingenuity of the people that keep inventing ways to keep them going as swapping gas for foreign diesel engines and manufacturing homemade parts. Catering to the influx of tourists, these old cars have been resurrected by any means to create a government controlled employment for a lucky few owners. Since a “TouristTaxi” pays more than a professional, ie. an MD. Car owners go to the extend of making a “convertible” out of a hard top car due to the highest tourist demand to sightsee Havana in a topless car. I’m sure they are forbidden to take tourists a couple of blocks away from the tourist routes. My car was longtime named “Almendrón” in honor of those old American cars still in the battle field.

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, Elpad said:

F53BD89B-BF70-4187-AC71-2776553C7009.jpeg

Now THAT"S an interesting modification!  The full sized body with the small body vent windows?  And it looks like the vent window meets the windshield frame so that would mean the cowl was changed?  But the hood matches, so the cowl wasn't changed.  Just the windshield frame was changed?  Then there is the full sized window trim across the hood but no trim on the outer edge of the windshield frame.   Would love to see a close up of this just for the experience factor.   Would not consider doing it to another full size series.

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Now THAT"S an interesting modification!  The full sized body with the small body vent windows?  And it looks like the vent window meets the windshield frame so that would mean the cowl was changed?  But the hood matches, so the cowl wasn't changed.  Just the windshield frame was changed?  Then there is the full sized window trim across the hood but no trim on the outer edge of the windshield frame.   Would love to see a close up of this just for the experience factor.   Would not consider doing it to another full size series.

Mutant Buick, probably started as a hard top!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...