1948 Dodge Fargo...any knowledge is appreciated.

Rousky

I have searched and searched for the serial number on this truck and can't find anything.  The person that I bought it from told me it was a 1948 Dodge Fargo.  I see that it is a Dodge Fargo by the markings and emblems, however, I just want to make sure I have the correct year.  I going to try and fully restore this truck the best I can and need help identifying what year it is.  I checked the engine compartment, the door panels, the chassis to no avail.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to get information on this truck.  I used the forum search option and could not come up with any.  Attached are some pics of the Beauty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_E0875.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

Hello Rousky, great looking truck. The 5 window cab is very desirable. Most did not have the corner windows. Are you in Canada? You probably know that Fargo is the Canadian version of the Dodge trucks. I am not too familiar with the Canadian version but many parts will be the same as Dodge. What does the paper work show the year to be? It looks more like a 51 -53 model to me but then I am no expert on Fargo. Also many vehicles from that era were registered by the motor number in the USA but again not sure about the Canadian system. Please keep us posted on your progress. This will be interesting.

1 hour ago, Fleek said:

Hello Rousky, great looking truck. The 5 window cab is very desirable. Most did not have the corner windows. Are you in Canada? You probably know that Fargo is the Canadian version of the Dodge trucks. I am not too familiar with the Canadian version but many parts will be the same as Dodge. What does the paper work show the year to be? It looks more like a 51 -53 model to me but then I am no expert on Fargo. Also many vehicles from that era were registered by the motor number in the USA but again not sure about the Canadian system. Please keep us posted on your progress. This will be interesting.

Hello Fleek, thanks for the response.   I'm actually in south Texas.  The man I bought the truck from lost the title so I have no paperwork for it.  Like I mentioned, he said it was a 48 but I'm not so sure.  I checked the inside of the cab for any tags and on the fire wall and came up with nothing.  I tried checking the chassis but was too faint to be legible.  I don't really know where the motor number is but I'll keep looking.  Meanwhile I guess i will start removing the cab and bed.  I will definitely keep you all posted. 

*Please note that this is my first full restoration project and some questions I will ask might sound dumb to many, but I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks, 

Rousky

You bought it without a title? Uh oh...

Don't spend a penny or a minute on that truck's restoration until you have a good title. You'll get $40,000 into it and realize that you can't register it or sell it.

Get the title fixed first. Do nothing else until that is handled. Period.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

You bought it without a title? Uh oh...

Don't spend a penny or a minute on that truck's restoration until you have a good title. You'll get $40,000 into it and realize that you can't register it or sell it.

Get the title fixed first. Do nothing else until that is handled. Period.

Yes I did.  I got a bill of sale is all because the owner lost the title.  I will definitely go to my local tax office and inquire on how to get a good title.  That's another reason why I wanted to know the correct year and model of the truck.  I think I need that to submit an application for lost title, but I'll find out.

Thanks Matt.

1 hour ago, Rousky said:

Yes I did.  I got a bill of sale is all because the owner lost the title.  I will definitely go to my local tax office and inquire on how to get a good title.  That's another reason why I wanted to know the correct year and model of the truck.  I think I need that to submit an application for lost title, but I'll find out.

Thanks Matt.

The seller will need to apply for a lost title. You can't apply for a lost title for someone else's vehicle. As far as the authorities are concerned, you don't own the truck regardless of what the bill of sale might say. If you're friendly with the seller, you're going to have to go back to him to ask him to do a bunch of leg work with the authorities to track down a new title. Lost titles are sometimes easy (if he actually had the title in his name) and sometimes maddening (if he didn't bother and it was last titled by a dead guy in 1972). It will also depend on what state you're in--some are easy to work with some make it difficult. But your first move should be to contact the seller and ask him to get you a title. Nothing else can happen without his cooperation.

Good luck.

Bonded titles work in lieu of original titles, only need to get the sellers signature....you have a cloud on the title until the time runs out on the claim period for the bonded title, then you are free to get a clear title, assuming no one claims the truck during the bonded years...worked well for me, and I'm in California.

• Like 1

Make sure you refer to the truck as a FARGO.  It is not a Dodge Fargo. You should research the correct year as you want the title to be correct.  Also some parts are different (other than the name on the hood and the mascot) depending on the year  Some years a dodge part is the same as fargo, and some years the part that was fargo last year is both models this year and dodge only next year.

Do get your title sorted out first.

Good luck with your new truck.

Your Fargo is a 1951 or 1952.  The grill bars are different  1948-1950.  Three separate lengths, short on top medium in the middle and long on the bottom. 

Serial numbers for '51 are Windsor 90512551 to 90517404.  Detroit 88215001 to 82256916. 

'52  Windsor 90517405 to 90522063.  Detroit 82257601 to 82302000.

Information taken from "Standard Catalog of American Light Duty Trucks"

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:55 PM, Surf City '38 said:

Bonded titles work in lieu of original titles, only need to get the sellers signature....you have a cloud on the title until the time runs out on the claim period for the bonded title, then you are free to get a clear title, assuming no one claims the truck during the bonded years...worked well for me, and I'm in California.

Yes, I got the titled figured out and looked into the bonded title, however I paid a lawyer to get the title for me so I wouldn't wait that long to get the title free and clear.

I appreciate your help.

16 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Your Fargo is a 1951 or 1952.  The grill bars are different  1948-1950.  Three separate lengths, short on top medium in the middle and long on the bottom. 

Serial numbers for '51 are Windsor 90512551 to 90517404.  Detroit 88215001 to 82256916. 

'52  Windsor 90517405 to 90522063.  Detroit 82257601 to 82302000.

Information taken from "Standard Catalog of American Light Duty Trucks"

Tinindian,

I appreciate your help and research in this matter.  I was making the mistake in searching for "Dodge Fargo" instead of just "Fargo".  I have been trying to look for a shop manual for the truck but cant seem to come up with one.  Any suggestions or direction you can give me to obtain one.  I've been googling 1951-1952 Fargo Truck manual but that doesn't seem to be working. It takes me to the sites I have already visited.  I'll keep looking for the meantime I need to pull the brakes loose because all brakes are locked up.  Need to move the truck to the shop where I will be working on it.  Wish me luck since this is my first time taking on a job this size. (restoration)

Thanks again and I appreciate everyone taking their time to assist me. 

Great day!

Same year Dodge truck manual is the same in 99.9% of the time.  If you are looking for mechanical parts any pick up manual from '41 to '57 would be useful.  It is only body parts that are different.

https://www.amazon.com/1951-1952-Pickup-Repair-Manual-Reprint/dp/B00435FNZU

http://vintagemoparts.com/product.php?id_product=376

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1952-Dodge-Truck-Repair-Shop-Manual-B-3-Pickup-Panel-B3-Service-Book/401080819084?epid=917899636&hash=item5d62479d8c:g:aBoAAMXQMmJRNPfC

Good luck