1934 Hupmobile 417W Rebuild Videos

Stevemo

I will be posting videos on my YouTube channel now that I'm ramping up on restoring this 1934 Hupmobile 417W Rebuild.  I'm not sure if "restoration" is the correct word in this case.  I've had it for a number of years now and I'm itching to get it on the road.  The intent is to hammer away at it to the point of it becoming a rolling restoration as soon as possible.  The engine/transmission will not be correct but everything else will be.

Please watch the "Where to start?" Video and provide pointers.  I am more comfortable with chassis work that body work so I'm struggling to start with the body work.  I know I can get more done faster when working on the chassis.

Cheers, Steve

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

Edited by Stevemo (see edit history)

Steve,

I admire you for taking on a project like this yourself.  I have a 29 Hupp A sedan that started in a similar condition.  It appears you plan on doing the lion’s share of work yourself as I am doing also.  Curious if your engine transmission upgrade is by default.  I almost went the same newer engine route when the first restoration shop I got a quote from for new bearings was $13.500.  Fortunately I later found a man that only charged $50 per bearing.  I had the same issue with removing the door hinge pins but wound up removing the hinges completely where I could turn them upside down and drive the pins out.  Looking forward to see how you progress. 

Dick Arnett 

• Like 1

When I got the car it had a Ford 289 in it that was full of water.  The 302 is about the same engine so I knew it would fit so that is why I am going this route plus I was able to buy the donor van for $500.

Things should really get going once the weather improves.  It's too cold to lay on the floor or do anything that requires dexterity.  I think I can put in 16 hours a week for the next 5 or 6 months.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2019 at 11:59 AM, 29hupp said:

Steve,

I admire you for taking on a project like this yourself.  I have a 29 Hupp A sedan that started in a similar condition.  It appears you plan on doing the lion’s share of work yourself as I am doing also.  Curious if your engine transmission upgrade is by default.  I almost went the same newer engine route when the first restoration shop I got a quote from for new bearings was $13.500.  Fortunately I later found a man that only charged $50 per bearing.  I had the same issue with removing the door hinge pins but wound up removing the hinges completely where I could turn them upside down and drive the pins out.  Looking forward to see how you progress. 

Dick Arnett 

I would sure like to see close up pictures of all those 50.00 bearings.

Herm.

I  do  not  have  my  2018  Hupmobile club   roster with  me  but  you  can  get  a lot of  help  from  our  club  members. i f  you  are  a member you will know  this. If  not join  us  for  some  help  with  your  restoration..

I would sure like to see close up pictures of all those 50.00 bearings.

I had most of a spare engine so at $50 per bearing I did both engines.  I had the crankshafts turned on both before having the bearings done.  One engine is assembled and running in the car and the other has the crankshaft installed without the pistons.  FYI he line bored both at no additional cost I just needed to go help him lift the engines.  

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

The usual story, progress has been slower than expected.  I had been trying to buy floor parts but people have been difficult to deal with so I guess I'll be patching the floor on my own.  I'm also hung-up on a fuel system for the engine due to the current goings-on.

Here are a couple recent videos:

Edited by Stevemo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...