Car just quit

Phils38cpe

Drove the car 1400 miles to Daytona ( had a great time) and on the way home the car just quit . Wound up towing the car home still no start. Put a timing light on it and no spark. Installed  an ignition module from my parts car and  the car fired right up. Yippee problem solved. I then took about a 10 mile drive and all was fine. The next morning I started the car and was letting it run and after about 4 min it died. Fired right up again  and ran for about 30 sec. then no start. Had both modules tested and of course both passed. I then put the parts car module in and started the car right up. I let it run for 20 min and when I went to put it away I drove about 50 ft and it died again.

ANY IDEAS?

I would bet on the CPS. I know they aren't supposed to semi-heal and all that, but from personal experience, it can act exactly that way. The other possibility is to check the harness for routing and assure the connection at the ICM is clean, tight and no damaged pins.

5 hours ago, Phils38cpe said:

Drove the car 1400 miles to Daytona ( had a great time) and on the way home the car just quit . Wound up towing the car home still no start. Put a timing light on it and no spark. Installed  an ignition module from my parts car and  the car fired right up. Yippee problem solved. I then took about a 10 mile drive and all was fine. The next morning I started the car and was letting it run and after about 4 min it died. Fired right up again  and ran for about 30 sec. then no start. Had both modules tested and of course both passed. I then put the parts car module in and started the car right up. I let it run for 20 min and when I went to put it away I drove about 50 ft and it died again.

ANY IDEAS?

They fail hot, then after cooling begin to work. So it is pretty much useless to test them off vehicle.

The best test for them is pouring cool water on it as soon as it dies.