1949 Ford Woody - Looking for a book or video on making the wood cuts.

koolpackrat

I would give Doug or Suzie at Wood'NCarr a call. The last thing you want to do is make a mistake on any of your wood parts. It's not like making a mistake in metal where you can weld it up and cover it with filler. A wrong placed hole or too heavy a cut will always be visible in wood. What exactly do you need to cut to make fit, I thought the kits from Wood'NCarr were complete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

I would give Doug or Suzie at Wood'NCarr a call. The last thing you want to do is make a mistake on any of your wood parts. It's not like making a mistake in metal where you can weld it up and cover it with filler. A wrong placed hole or too heavy a cut will always be visible in wood. What exactly do you need to cut to make fit, I thought the kits from Wood'NCarr were complete.

Should bought the fitted kit and not the non fitted one.

• Thanks 1

I would like to locate a site visited a few years back that showed the cuts being made on a Shoe Box woodie. Please see a few pictures I saved from the site and hope someone could direct me to the site. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

B6343287-445A-4D2E-8BDA-FDEE2EA0B331.jpeg

E4354498-1F8F-4032-B08D-7278DDF79015.jpeg

BD5FFCC9-F467-40C3-B863-E63E500B7595.jpeg

1 hour ago, Anteltruck said:

I would like to locate a site visited a few years back that showed the cuts being made on a Shoe Box woodie. Please see a few pictures I saved from the site and hope someone could direct me to the site. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

B6343287-445A-4D2E-8BDA-FDEE2EA0B331.jpeg

E4354498-1F8F-4032-B08D-7278DDF79015.jpeg

BD5FFCC9-F467-40C3-B863-E63E500B7595.jpeg

Just so everyone is on the same page are you asking about Finger Joints, or simple straight cuts? 

fingerjoint5.jpg

The last Ford Woodies that used finger joints was the '48 and the correct cutter is several hundred dollars. Using that particular finger joint cutter is not for the faint of heart, one slip and it's a visit to the emergency room. I have to agree with 1937. Purchasing the tools you will need and having the skills needed, will cost more than the bolt on kit. I would call Doug and ask if your kit can be sent back for more woodwork.

• Thanks 1

We have done several woodies including making all the wood for a '49 Olds and a '48 Buick. We do finger joints and many of the critical joint cuts on our milling machine. We had a cutter made to do the finger joints. The commercially available cutters are not deep enough to replicate the original joints.

19 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

The last Ford Woodies that used finger joints was the '48 and the correct cutter is several hundred dollars. Using that particular finger joint cutter is not for the faint of heart, one slip and it's a visit to the emergency room. I have to agree with 1937. Purchasing the tools you will need and having the skills needed, will cost more than the bolt on kit. I would call Doug and ask if your kit can be sent back for more woodwork.

I do not need to make any Finger Joints. Was hoping to locate the site for reference purposes. Really appreciate all the comments.

Bob