Franklin Wheel with brake drum found at flea market

Bruce Kuz

I was perusing the local flea market a couple months ago and came across a Franklin wooden spoke wheel with steel hub/brake drum in very good condition. The paint is wore off but it looked like the rim was red and the spokes black at one time. There is only minor surface rust on it and the spokes seem to be very solid and the drum does not have any readily visible damage. I have included some photos so you have a reference to possibly identify what year it came from. If anyone is interested in it please let me know. I am a car guy myself who grew up in the Buffalo area before joining the Air Force and ultimately retired here in Ohio and would like some one who could use it to have it instead of it being a wall hanging display in my barn. I have no idea what it's worth but that can be worked out afterwards.

Thanks...

Bruce "KUZ" Kusmierczyk

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for the ID on the wheel. I had my 12 year old grandson research it as a little project and he also said it was from a 1929 so I guess I will use his expertise in the future also. Do you know the fair market value of it?

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, Bruce Kuz said:

I will clean it up to do a better inspection.

After you get it cleaned up, look at the drum's inner edge of the shoe contact surface area. See if there is a ridge there. If there is, then the drum likely has been turned, or is very worn. In that case it may be too thin if more than .050 of drum thickness has ben removed.  Not so critical for a rear drum, but it can become critical for a front drum.

Paul

• Like 1