no oil getting to rockers fresh built 455 olds motor

Cutlass Pat

I RECENTLY BUILT A 1970 455 OLDS ENGINE AND FOUND THAT NO OIL IS GETTING TO THE ROCKERS I REPLACED THE OIL PUMP THE OIL FILTER HOUSING AND THE OIL PICK UP IN THE PAN . I PRIMED THE ENGINE STARTED THE MOTOR AND THE SAME RESULTS NO OIL IS REACHING THE ROCKERS . LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION THIS PROBLEM THANKS 

Well, first, locate and press your CAPS LOCK button...

Second, did you verify oil pressure prior to starting the motor? Did you prime the pump CCW (opposite of a Chevy)?

Third, did you replace the plug with the 0.040" orifice at the back of the passenger side oil gallery?  This is the one behind the freeze plug that oils the distributor.  People who aren't familiar with Olds motors often forget it, causing near zero oil pressure.

Fourth, do you have the correct lifters? Many companies provide generic Chevy lifters for Olds cams. The location of the lifter oil feed holes is different on Olds motors than on Chevy motors, so the lifters are also different.

I'll add that when I built my most recent 455 last year, it took a while for oil to get to the rockers. Packing the oil pump with vaseline is a good way to shorten the priming process.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 2