1922 Rear taillight and license plate bracket

Mike Mowen

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you I’m sure I can make it work.  I’m in Arizona until April then heading back home to Michigan  what state are you in perhaps we could make a detour on our return trip.  If we can’t meet I’d be happy to pay shipping. 

Edited by Mike Mowen (see edit history)

I think the tire carrier can be made to work the bracket attaching it to the car is a little different on the 22’s and 23’s but I can have that part fabricated.  At least it’s an option until I can find and original which may not happen and I can get a taillight mounted.  It’s very difficult to find McLaughlin Buick items.

The Tail Lamp Asm you have is for a mid 1923 on Buick.

Mid year 1923, Buick moved the tail lamp from left of the rear license plate to centered over the top of the license plate.  They did this at job / Buick # 1,000,000

You will note that your lamp has two illumination windows.  One on the top to illuminate the Buick logo, the second is on the bottom to illuminate the license plate below.  This makes it a mid 1923 on lamp.  Here is my early 1923 side illuminating lamp with an optional stop lamp above.02D79DD3-CFE9-4A63-8C71-DC0083F6C2F5.jpe

• Like 1

I missed the offset tail light, which is as much a key to the year as the rim diameter.  My 22" rim has a 21" carrier diameter.  I agree with Brian that this is more likely a pre 1923 tire carrier, so it would likely be for a 23" wheel.  

549126548_Buickrimdatajpg.thumb.jpg.a53230cf942e8a01f6f66891e26a523a.jpg

• Like 1