1941 Buick rear window removal tips?

Curt Six

Hi. For some reason I can't find any info in my shop manual for removing the back window from my '41 Buick. Do you have any tips or information? All the other glass has come out pretty easily, though I did crack the windshield trying to separate it from the VERY weathered and hard rubber channel (worrying the same might happen with the back window...much more difficult to replace).

Thanks for any info.

Curt

On my '41 coupe, the rear window is held in place by the inside window moulding. If you remove that, then you will have access to the seal, which after so many years will be stuck in place, but you already know this from your experience on the front. Slow and easy is the game plan, and make sure you have an assistant, as it will likely come away suddenly, once you've freed it up enough.

I too cracked the front taking them out, but was able to get the back one out (and back in) intact. The front glass is flat, so not too tough to get a replacement, but the rear, on mine at least, is curved.

The chrome (really stainless) reveal moulding is held in place by a separate small rubber gasket, usually called "pinchweld" seal, I think that's the right name. I bought replacement from Steele, and we tried and tried, but could not get it in properly. Here's my confession. I still don't have it in place, so I used an aftermarket cheap flexible plastic chrome moulding available at many auto stores. I real Buick guy can tell, but no one else can see the difference. Hope you make out better than I with that piece!

Hope this helps you.

Keith

• Like 1

Is the rubber available new? If so, cut the old rubber where it wraps around the pinchweld of the window opening. Then there is way less danger of breaking glass.

• Like 1

The rubber seals are available from a couple of sources, two I have dealt with are Metro moulded parts, Steele, both of which are well known suppliers. A couple of other parts places I've used are CARS, in  NJ., and Bob's Automobilia in California, which sell some rubber parts, though the parts themselves likely come from one of the above.

For the disclaimer, I have no affiliation with these or any other company which supplies parts to the car community, I am only a customer that has generally happy with the products and services I have got from them!

Keith