Atwater Kent Igniton Tool

hddennis

Sometimes the point set contact surfaces don't line up parallel and join flat faces to each other. Same sometimes happens with Delco points.  If the points hit on edges only they  tend not to allow as much current to flow to get as strong of a magnetic field in the coil. Less coil saturation equals weaker spark.

That hole in the tool handle likely fits over the tungsten "buttons" that are the contacts so that you can bend them and have the contact faces sit flat against each other.

Clever little tool  and a very nice find.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Sometimes the point set contact surfaces don't line up parallel and join flat faces to each other. Same sometimes happens with Delco points.  If the points hit on edges only they  tend not to allow as much current to flow to get as strong of a magnetic field in the coil. Less coil saturation equals weaker spark.

That hole in the tool handle likely fits over the tungsten "buttons" that are the contacts so that you can bend them and have the contact faces sit flat against each other.

Clever little tool  and a very nice find.

Paul

Paul, I guess I've always been lucky in having all the ones I've assembled line up with very little effort and never needed this tool but in rethinking it from your explanation I see where it might make alignment easier.

Howard Dennis

Atwater-Kent Maxwell Instr. 10 - Copy.jpg

30 minutes ago, hddennis said:

Thanks, I have this in my files and thought if this tool was required why didn't I find it listed on this document from the manufacturer?

Howard Dennis

The lack of mention might be because it may have been sold as an aftermarket tool and not from Atwater Kent. It doesn't say who made it. It just says that it fits AK. And without a patent number it may be tough to find who did make it.

Anyway, it's a neat combo tool.

Paul