1922 gear shift key

Mark Kikta

Mark, 

Put penetrating lube on a couple occasions in the keyhole and it may need to sit for a couple of days.  You may want to consider having a new key made in case that one breaks or gets a crack in the process.  I would then put vise grips on the key and continue to rotate it back and forth gently.  The vise grips are really just to make it easier to hold.  It will eventually turn one way or the other, but it takes a lot of patience-not unlike loosening a rusty bolt.  If you apply too much pressure in one direction you will likely break it off.  Gentle nudging is what usually works.  A quality key blank would be good to use if you can get one first.  

I really like to see the original linoleum and the original door panel and trim.  Take lots of pictures as original photos are hard to come by.  It is rare to see your floorboard thimble as well.  If your door check straps are original leather, I would like to know the thickness.   

Thank you,

Hugh

• Like 1

Hugh,

I believe most everything about this car is original which excites me.  I bought the car from  a long time good friends estate.  I know he mostly only liked original cars.  I plan to take a lot of pictures of everything before I touch it.  I will look at the door straps because I believe they are original.  What is a floorboard thimble?

Mark,

The floorboard thimble is a finger hole in the drivers side floorboard on the open cars up thru 1925.  There were made of pot metal so many did not survive.  They did not always get reinstalled either if the floorboards were replaced.  Greg Lange had made some replacements and currently has a mold.    Hugh

888291351_thimble4.thumb.jpg.8743bf5c828d117e0b1fd72c38f67f1b.jpg777702673_thimble7.thumb.JPG.afbfe72a43d6cb62435bab0c5727d054.JPGDSC04455.thumb.JPG.2d592bd6acbb7df3a8ec7dddd21fcebd.JPG851939307_floorboardthimble2.JPG.3f34b408577fde7b743ded79e71d2f5d.JPG

• Like 1

Mark: 

Some of the cars had the composite sewn straps. That is how I made the ones for my 1925 Standard. Then I found out the Master Parts book specified Harness Leather for both the 1925 Master and Standard. Other years before and after were like yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up to now I had not paid much attention to the inside of these doors and I thought these were map pockets but today I discover that they are flaps with steel plates in them. I guess these were like having a glove box on each door because there is nothing inside the compartment. Guess the steel flaps kept them closed while driving.

Mark, if your key/lock is the same as my 23 you will find that the pot metal has swollen and locked everything tight. I have been told that it is impossible to remove the lock without destroying everything.  Mine is frozen and have decided to just leave it alone.  I would never lock it anyway.  Who would know how to start it?

Can you remove your key?   

• Like 1