1955 lower fender bolts

Mudbone

How many and what exact thread size and length do U knead? One last ? Are the threads receiving those bolts still good? I hope! I have a 55 cent with fenders still bolted on here in MN, but for sure "frozen" temp-wise, maybe in terms of removal as well. Just want to be sure of needs as outside removal this time of year sux, but if 4 sure needed doable! Lemme know please.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

They are fine tread. The first 5 times I had the fender off I could start them with my fingers. now they are stripped out. I wonder if I ran the wrong size tap through them after I primed them. I can insert a heli coil of any size.  The bolts were in the bag marked left front fender but that doesn’t mean I didn’t screw up. I will check the other side and see what I have in there.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, 2carb40 said:

How many and what exact thread size and length do U knead? One last ? Are the threads receiving those bolts still good? I hope! I have a 55 cent with fenders still bolted on here in MN, but for sure "frozen" temp-wise, maybe in terms of removal as well. Just want to be sure of needs as outside removal this time of year sux, but if 4 sure needed doable! Lemme know please.

Thanks, I may need four. Let me check the other side first and I will get back to you.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, old-tank said:

Check the size again Mud.  5/16-18 was used in that location.  5/16-24 was used on the trunk lid.

Yes the right front fender is 5/16-18. After thinking about it I now remember that the bolts broke on one side. I must have drilled and tapped them the wrong thread size. Now I am not sure what bolt and washer came out of there as I was using generic bolts on the right fender. The body holes are very large so I would think it would be a large washer. Nothing in my front clip parts bag is that large.