many questions 41 lincoln

2nevets

Thanks in advance
I need to replace my rear trans seal and spacer
My question is, do I need to split the overdrive from the main drive gear to remove these? any special tools?
My rear is leaking as well-what is the trick to removing the drive shaft from the car? Any special tools?
thanks 
Steve

You have to remove the driveshaft and usually the transmission and OD unit if you have one and block the rear of the engine to support it while the transmission is out.  Then with the transmission and OD out of the vehicle it's easier to replace the seals wherever needed.  Might be a good time to replace the clutch face, throwout bearing since you have it apart! When I did mine a supplier sold me a Ford clutch plate which is smaller so be sure to get the Lincoln one.   Lots of work...Good Luck!

Yes,  the rear and wishbone need to be out of the way.  This isn't a small job, so you want to address any and all issues from the flywheel to the rear end of the vehicle while you have it apart.  Flywheels also need to be 'trued' which means ground in a machine shop so the clutch plate fits firmly against it like you want your brake shoes to fit the drums for maximum contact.  It should be done on a lift as it doesn't work well in a 'shade-tree' environment.  The transmission and OD if you have one should be gone through completely while they're out of the vehicle to resolve any issues.  When I did mine the rear end/differential with the wheels was removed to allow the transmission and OD unit space to remove them and reinstall them.  Good luck!