Front End Rebuild

WillBilly53

Kanter has a pretty good reputation and has always sent me the correct stuff. Their downside is that sometimes they think their stuff is 24k goldplate, especially on parts that can be got elsewhere for 1/3 the cost. Their advantage is that by ordering their kits, you don't have to chase parts all over town and wait days for the local parts house to get it, if they can get it at all. It all comes at one time in one box, delivered to your door.

Guest COMPACTBC

I just received my front end rebuild kit from Kanters today, except for my center link, which I had to send them a core to rebuild. I shopped around and Kanters had the parts, unlike the local NAPA and other independent parts stores, and Kanter was less expensive than Rare Parts by quite a lot. And they say that all of their parts a fully guaranteed. I ordered their regular rebuild kit because it had all of the hard to find parts in it, but I did have to order seperately the INNER tie rod ends, because they are not in the Kits. tongue.gif

Their 24K Gold price is the sale price. Usually it's priced like platinum.

There is a lot to be said for no hassle, one-stop shopping, though.

I've been happy with CARS in New Jersey. (908) 369-3666.

If you havn't yet, call 1-800-MOTORHEAD and order their Buick Parts Locating Guide: It lists everybody in the country that sells Buick parts. It's the best $25 you'll spend on the car.

Good luck!

-Brad

Be sure to compare all your new parts to what is now on the car. I bought the Kanters kit and let it sit for a year before doing the rebuild on a '54. The upper-inner bushings (I think) were not correct, and since I was determined to keep the project moving, I bought a NOS set at Classic Buicks, here locally. Expensive, but the project did not slow down. Kanters never did give me any kind of refund. So, check now!

Have fun, it's a big job!

The Classic Parts Locator lists EVERYTHING: sheetmetal, mechanical, rubber, glass, junkyards, even literature venders and the like.

If you can't find the part you're looking for in there, it doesn't exist. And they'll refund the price of the book to you. You won't be dissapointed.

-Brad

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi Brad, yes I have the Buick parts and services locating catalog, and have had it for several years. Basicly it is pretty good, however I have also found that several places that they refer you to don't necesarily deal with what you want, even though the catalog says they do. Since I have had this catalog since 1996, maybe they have improved (I hope)what they now offer. But you are correct it would be a lot of help to club members, especially those who are fairly new to the restoration experience. tongue.gif