1932 bearings wanted

rbk

I need a set of new or used crankshaft bearings for a 1932  8 cylinder 250cu/in engine.

An owner junked the bearings in his engine, thinking that new ones were widely available.

He is will pay handsomely for a set of new or rebabitable  bearings.

Robert Kapteyn

815 212 2389 text or voice.

The trail starts with the article Ford Stoecker wrote a dozen or more years ago for Antique Studebaker Review.

Main bearings are 2.344 and nothing currently made is available - but several engines use 2.374, so a .030" undersize will fit, but there are four different widths (can use the same for #1 and #5).

Rear main #9 is the same as a rod bearing from an Allis Chalmers WD or WD-45; Federal Mogul #2440SB.

Intermediate bearings #2,3,4,6,7 and 8 are rod bearings from Chrysler 383 (1961-71) and are Clevite #CB527P.

Bearings #5 and #1 are rod bearings from an International Truck (6-cyl 240 or 264), Clevite #CB475P.

I used the above advice from the article rebuilding the engine for my Dictator.  As Ford points out, almost every bearing shell has the mounting tang on the wrong side, so a slot needs to be machined to accept the "backward" bearing shell, and most oil holes do not line up correctly and the holes or grooves need to be modified.

Rod bearings are Federal Mogul #1360SB in the appropriate undersize for the Studebaker 1.875 rod journals - they can be found for the old Caterpillar pony engines.

In the article, Ford gives credit to Performance Antiques 573-243-7322 for all the bearing interchanges.  I did not call them, but found that the info Ford had in the article was correct, and my rebuilt engine has been going strong for 11 years and thousands of miles.

Youv'e helped me out over the years, hopefully this starts to repay the favor!

- Rick Larrick

Fairbanks, Alaska

1935 was the beginning of use of thin wall replaceable bearings in the 8 cylinders.  Prior motors used the thick brass shells on the mains and babbitt rods.  Ford Stoeckers  article was for the later motors 1935 to 1942.  I guess you could put shells in the thick main shells, but it would be easier to just get them babbitted.  If he threw out the thick shells the later bearings won't help.  The rods could be modified to use the cat pony bearings, but they are not available anymore either.  I bought up all the ones I could find years ago.

Robert -

As I said in the personal email I sent you, the Dictator engine in '32 had babbited rod bearings  - I had mine done at Harkin Machine.  All the main bearing shells fit perfectly, as properly shimmed and set with plastigage.  Engine had 4500 miles on it when I lost babbit in the #6 rod bearing on a steep grade - had the car towed home and had the rod rebabbited.  That was in 2015 shortly after I fitted an overdrive on the car.  The car is a driver -  has another 3500 miles on it since then, many at modern highway speed.  Engine I rebuilt had about 23k on it; the one I used it to replace had about 73k on it and was tired.

- Rick

Rex -

Shells I took out look to be standard diameter, and with a couple checks average .0775" thickness.  A quick web search shows that all the replacement crankshaft bearings are available - the only one that isn't is the rod bearings for the Commander (that you have bought up the stock) - but if this is a Dictator, they are babbited anyway.

- Rick

I'll order one of the $6/pair intermediate bearing shells from Amazon and check the thickness, now that you have me curious - but I'm sure I checked when I installed them...

Got the standard Clevite CB-527P bearings in the mail from Amazon this morning.  They check out perfect for the thickness to fit a 2.374 crank in a 2.500 bearing housing at .0625 thickness.  To fit the standard Studebaker 2.344 crank, the Clevite inserts must be ordered .030 undersize.  If you have to turn the Studebaker crank, then you need to order even greater undersize to fit.  The inserts also need the oil hole drilled, and the tabs are reversed, so they will take some minor fit work.  Now that I've done your math homework for you, order the bearings.  They are available.